Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hotech SCA problem - perhaps?

I wondered if anyone has experience of a Hotech SCA laser collinator?

Slightly long tail but the TLDR is - the photo shows the beam from mine, is this normal?

image.thumb.jpeg.4339a50add6080cc97e0ad942c0ce2d9.jpeg

I wanted a Hotech SCA 2". I ordered a 1.25" accidentally so then ordered a 2" with a view to returning the 1.25". The 2" arrived quickly but shows the above pattern. It's perhaps not the best photo bust shows the following "issues"

1. an extra spot just to the 5 0'clock position of the centre
  2. an extra spot at 5 0'clock just beyond the boundary of the cross
  3. asymmetrical cross hairs

I have been in contact with the UK supplier, not their fault, who advised me to open the 1.25" to check and it shows an identical pattern. The supplier has offered a full refund, thanks, but also said quite reasobaly the centre spot is important.

The reason I got the Hotech was the self centering feature which others do not offer. I've not yet checked the collimation of the laser but there's no obstructions I can see to account for the asymmetrical diffraction pattern.

I have yet to approach Hotech but just wondered if this pattern is "normal" (and it is consistent across different angles and surfaces)? I'd still like to keep it for the self-centering feature but it just feels like a defect but it's odd it's on 2 lasers.

thanks for your time,

Paul

Can’t say whether I have seen it with mine, which is the 1.25”

No harm in contacting Hotech.

Please do report back, if you do and get a reply.

thanks for the reply and taking the time to photograph. Yes, I did see they're essentially the same with the 2" having an extra adapter.

Yours definitely looks different to mine and looks how I would have expected.

Seems to confirm my suspicion but I've emailed Hotech for absolute confirmation.

Best wishes,

Pul