NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner project

So next clear skies and for the next few, I want to start a first project. Assuming all my gear runs smooth, etc.

I'd like it to be big bright, fill my fov and be up high ish all night.

My gear is 600d unmodded sw gti evostar 72ed with flattener no filters and auto guiding.

M101 is about the best I can come up with. M31 will be up higher/longer in the autumn?

Planning to use sirilic and maybe two hours of data I already have.

Any one have any better target? M101 is a bit small but it could look good. Markarians chain is another option.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Whatever you choose, stick to it for hours/nights/maybe months going by the weather. You'll see the difference.

Target selection is a bit awkward at the moment if you don't have the equipment to adjust (hence galaxy season and imaging galaxy clusters) as the milky way is fairly flat to the horizon at dark, and if you're north/south restricted it's even more awkward. Darkness will also be restricted to 3-2.5 hours very soon when it's not astronomical dark (I still image anyway) until September or so.

Some quick and easy options will be open clusters.