Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

can nina slew to the moon?

I selected a lunar tracking mode then used Cartes du Ciel to point the Moon and finally took the point at a framing section and then slewed to the Moon. Of course, it didn't centre, so I manually reaimed my scope at the Moon and voila!

image.thumb.png.da954cf2bf0e5f8cf05a0692525450b2.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

for the life of me, i can't find a way to do it, unless i can find a dso very close and use that. which i can't :(

anyone any ideas?

I plate solve to a nearby star or any DSO, and then manually move the mount via EQMOD. Having a camera on video mode helps with this as you can see the Moon move on screen.

Alternatively, I’ve also done it by just going outside and physically moving the scope to aim at the Moon. If you’ve got a DSLR, liveview helps a lot with this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

I plate solve to a nearby star or any DSO, and then manually move the mount via EQMOD. Having a camera on video mode helps with this as you can see the Moon move on screen.

Alternatively, I’ve also done it by just going outside and physically moving the scope to aim at the Moon. If you’ve got a DSLR, liveview helps a lot with this.

Er how do you choose a specific star? I can choose from a limited list of stars via manual focus target in image pane, or a DSO via the atlas.

But I can't find a way to search on a star name.

Apologies if this is really obvious :(

Isn't there a downloadable plugin for solar system objects in new versions of NINA? Check the plugins tab, it will be there if it exists.

Cant check for that myself as im using an older version of NINA, but i am 90% sure i saw a plugin like that when i last checked what was available.

• Like 1

I have some thoughts about that. I realized that both a Celestron CGX and an EQ5 OnStep GoTo mod are very accurate in aiming at the target once they previously performed a plate solve. I think we can just slew (without centring) to the Moon straight after aiming at any near DSO with the plate solve. I will try this idea (hopefully tonight) with my Starwave 102ED F/11 (planet killer), it has a very narrow FoV while my ASI 678MC has a rather smaller sensor. I hope the ASIair can do it because NINA will be busy with Lion Nebula. :)

Maybe Venus? 🤔

No, it's too low.

Edited by Vroobel