Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6R backlash adjustment query

Have been having a bit of difficulty clearing phd2 guiding assistant due to no south movement this spring and decided to try out looking at manually turning the worm gear with the belt off to feel backlash that way to help adjusting and notice that with my 9.25 sct off the mount the mount head responded north and south right off with the slightest turn of the  belt wheel, but with the sct on I could turn the wheel say an 8th of a turn in either direction before the mount head moved.  Is this usual ?  I could not tighten the gear mesh any further or audible binding would occur. 

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

What is the worm end-float like when loaded ?

Michael

With the scope on the float is tight enough so that it does not move laterally when slewing.  Havent checked to see how it behaves when manually turning the wheel but I will since you mention it.

I think I have found something very wrong... The worm drive itself is not moving with the beltwheel until say an 8th of a full turn of the wheel in either direction is done.  This does not happen on RA.  I dont see any set screw, but it seems there must be one and it has come loose.... or ??

https://www.facebook.com/reel/433192139120433

There must be a tiny headless allen socket screw which is loose. I don't have this mount, so cannot say where it is. Try to remove the timing belt to find it.

• Like 1

Had to remove the worm carrier to tighten the grubscrew holding the toothed gear wheel onto the worm.  They had come very very loose.

• Like 1