Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a DSLR 70-300 APS-C

Earl

I have a ‘cheap’ Tamron 70-300mm [Nikon mount] and I am getting reflection when shooting the Moon. I have a feeling it maybe due to my UV filter. I have not tried it without the filter in place. If not that, then it maybe from an internal lens element. It does not happen when I use the lens on terrestrial/daytime/aircraft photo-shoots.

BTW… the lens is the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD macro and I use it with my Nikon D80 and/or D40x.

I have an old Photax/Paragon 400mm telephoto lens [with M42 thread and ‘slim’ Nikon type T-ring… note: it does not focus with a conventional T-ring] and will give that a try too.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL

16 hours ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

I have a ‘cheap’ Tamron 70-300mm [Nikon mount] and I am getting reflection when shooting the Moon. I have a feeling it maybe due to my UV filter. I have not tried it without the filter in place. If not that, then it maybe from an internal lens element. It does not happen when I use the lens on terrestrial/daytime/aircraft photo-shoots.

BTW… the lens is the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD macro and I use it with my Nikon D80 and/or D40x.

I have an old Photax/Paragon 400mm telephoto lens [with M42 thread and ‘slim’ Nikon type T-ring… note: it does not focus with a conventional T-ring] and will give that a try too.

digging into the back of my memory is not an IR filter a better choice?

Are you looking at single shots or stacking?

These are single shots with a Canon 77D + EF 70-300L lens.

I captured this 18 months ago from Uluru on our Honeymoon. I can't recall if it was edited at all, but if so, it would have been for sharpness only.

64a-08-10-22-TheMoonFromUluru.thumb.jpg.c1fee350e644b655be989106bdf7ca6a.jpg

And this one last year with the partial lunar eclipse, with Jupiter in the frame for reference at 70mm.

129d-28-10-23-FullMoonwithPartialLunarEclipseandJupiter.thumb.jpg.0f93f6d2142d5d667f72aa3fc757bfcc.jpg

You can just capture the Galilean Moons at 300mm if your exposure is high enough and you crop right in: 

3-Jupiter.JPG.b533e7748dd4d9d8f67c070957707614.JPG

Hope that helps.

• Like 2