Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi Guys an Gals, 

Right its been a fair few years since i did any astro of any kind and i was just getting started learning astro-photography, my old setup which i dont have anymore was the skywatcher HEQ5 pro synscan mount with the skywatcher 200p.

so looking at a new setup and could do with a little advice... the mount im looking at is the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi and pairing it with the William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO but im not sure if this is a good mix which is where this post ccomes in. i still class myself as a beginner as so much has changed in the last 9 years or so. Anyway what im looking for is portability which is why i chose this mount but im looking for a setup thats not going to break the bank.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

What's your total budget, do you already have a camera, computer controller, do you want to autoguide, what do you want to predominantly image, so many questions...

Hi Elp thanks for the reply much appreciated, i dont have a set budget as im buying when i have funds available, i do have a camera already but i dont think it would be ok for ap (nikon d3100) so would eventually get something more appropriate, comp control yes and would be autoguide. to be honest it would be a mix of targets... planetary and dso but more dso than anything.

Planetary you generally need long focal length but I've imaged Jupiter and Saturn with my Z61 and barlow okayish. You also really need a planetary camera as it provides the crop to frame them in better together with the faster frame rate. In this respect the new cooled zwo 585mc would be a good starter cam as it can do both planetary and dso (I've use the older 485mc uncooled for both perfectly fine). But you already have a camera for DSO so start with that.

The scope is decent if you're happy with the focal length and FOV you'll get with your camera.

The SAGTI is also supposed to be decent, ive been using the older AZGTI in EQ mode for a number of years. A thing to consider though, if you're in it for the long haul and plan on upgrading the scope (trust me you will), a larger mount from the off will be better, and if you want portability (lightness) and your budget allows, a harmonic drive mount will be a better purchase. Since I bought my ioptron hem15 it's been great, similar to my heavier gem28 but much smaller and lighter and more reliable per sub quality than my azgti. Even a heq5 or 6 or ioptron cem/gem 20 class will be decent purchases. The SAGTI will provide you a good start anyway if you decide on that.

Computer controller, if you want to start with minimal initial cost try NINA on a laptop. I personally use zwo asiairs as I didn't want a computer involved in the image acquisition, I can interface with it with the computer in my pocket my mobile phone. Downside is you can only use ZWO equipment barring the mount of which it supports many, it also supports some Canon, Nikon and Sony bodies. Other on board options include raspberry pis with Astroberry or Stellarmate installed, or.a mini pc running full Windows and any associated software you'd like to use.

Guidescope you can get away with the svbony 30mm (cheaper than the zwo equivalent), and you'll need a small guide camera.

Additional cables, batteries if you choose the battery route, adaptors, field flattener for your scope, spacer rings etc etc. Shopping list seems endless at times.