NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser upgrade for Bresser 130mm f/5

The focuser in this scope is okay, but I’d like something a bit more precise (and not shiny plastic). Currently, the image slips around a bit as I’m trying to nail in the focus.

The scope is 130/650 with a 47mm secondary. 

Am I crazy for thinking about getting a 2” dual speed focuser for a scope this size? I believe the secondary mirror is large enough. Or should I just find a better 1.25 focuser? I’m not doing any astrophotography, just visual, mostly DSO hunting. Mostly use an 18mm eyepiece.

Edited by danielhigham

Maybe your current focuser could be adjusted to perform better ?

If you did upgrade to a 2 inch you would need to cut a larger hole in the tube for the focuser drawtube and likely drill new holes to bolt the new focuser onto the tube. 

I can see such a project ending up costing nearly as much as the scope is worth in all honesty.

You might be able to find an older 1.25 inch focuser that is made of metal such as the one that the Skywatcher 150PL uses but you will need to post a "wanted" advert on somewhere like the UK Astro Buy & Sell website because, as far as I know, such focusers are not available to purchase new. you might find someone who has upgraded the focuser on their 150PL ?

Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade, but I tend to agree with John.

For the price of a focuser you could pick up a use 130pds and stick that in the tube rings.

• Like 1

I have a similar focuser on my little Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p (114mm Newtonian) which I do like for grab-and-go plus travel. I did take the focuser apart and add some Teflon tape to the draw tube which certainly improved it. Also added some metal inserts for the focuser thumb screws. Now it’s much better but like you I’ve thought of a focuser upgrade.

I’ve seen this which seems to be all metal and MIGHT be better. But can’t be certain and you are taking a risk. You’d also need to drill some holes in the OTA. 

https://amzn.eu/d/06wkU76

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005178497054.html

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

… Also added some metal inserts for the focuser thumb screws. Now it’s much better but like you I’ve thought of a focuser upgrade.

What do you mean by metal inserts?

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

I’ve seen this which seems to be all metal and MIGHT be better. But can’t be certain and you are taking a risk. You’d also need to drill some holes in the OTA. 

https://amzn.eu/d/06wkU76

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005178497054.html

I've also been looking at these, but as you mention, not a drop-in replacement for the current focuser and more or less the same design but made of metal.

On 30/03/2024 at 15:59, John said:

Maybe your current focuser could be adjusted to perform better ?

I disassembled the stock focuser, cleaned it up, and placed a few strips of teflon tape along the inner surface of the tube, as well as along the sides rack and pinion track to eliminate rotational slop.

Feels like a completely different focuser!! Not only does it no longer wobble and rotate, but due to the tighter mating of the draw tube to the focuser, I am able to set the tension much lower to get very smooth fine adjustments without slippage.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Much more satisfying at this stage than buying a new focuser. 🙂

• Like 1