Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI585MC - 24 March 2024

Fir Chlis

Last night started off frustrating and not very successful but this morning when I look back over my pictures from last night, I’m feeling a lot happier.

I think that SharpCap Polar Alignment is great, but I do find it temperamental at times, maybe my technique, maybe my small (38’ x 22’ FoV), and maybe because I’m trying to get aligned as soon after sundown as possible. The first solve is straightforward but after the rotation I regularly get unsolved frames, especially after adjustments, but in the end, even with the rather clumsy adjusters on the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro, I can always get a Good alignment.

The Moon was full, and the sky was still pretty bright at around 8, as measured by the SharpCap Brain, so I went for my usual Gain 300 and, for tonight, 8s exposures. I didn’t take any darks because the sensor temperature was around 10deg, and I had a dark at 9.1deg. I’m not sure how closely I ought to match temperatures.

I was looking for some slightly bigger nebula targets, but all ended up being behind obstacles, so I had a quick pop at Jupiter. This is the first time I’d tried the SharpCap wavelet sharpening, and it certainly improved things.

Snapshotat20_07_11ofJupiter_00001_WithDisplayStretch.png.e411c5ccbc99a5d507fcc040c06112c0.png

I’d been making a list of likely targets from reading threads on here and elsewhere, so went for some of these, but just could not plate solve, and the images were dark and blurred. Then I realised that I hadn’t reset the capture area after looking at Jupiter. Doh!!!

After this, things improved, though marred a bit by the very bright moonlight. I’d have gone for a moon mosaic, but it was behind the house.

A couple of PNs, Eskimo and Camel’s Eye. Small, but really pretty images, and the first time that I’ve seen them.

Stack_41frames_328s.thumb.png.9342ee7db847818565927229feb34fac.png

Stack_60frames_480s.thumb.png.7e46ec15dabbbbb99474fea5fbb24530.png

I’ve been wanting to see it for a long time, but never managed it visually, so my first view of Vesta was exciting, though not dramatic - the bright one just above right of centre.

Stack_34frames_272s.thumb.png.91c37b84eca136a40ec1460451b740ac.png

I’ve seen Uranus as a faint green dot visually but seeing it with a couple of its moons, Titania and Oberon I think, was something special.

Stack_12frames_96s.thumb.png.12b32632d2185323e32260b05ec70879.png

Finally one of my favourite targets to finish off with, Bubble Nebula.

Stack_57frames_456s_WithDisplayStretch.thumb.png.b5735f0a12f0afb791d0786d03d78dca.png

Forecast for tonight is looking promising again...

Geoff

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fir Chlis said:

my first view of Vesta was exciting

Great pictures and I do like to have on my target list at least one minor planet. I find them a nice challenge. Keep your eye on ags post in diy astronomer as she is creating a map of the asteroids. All the best.

Edited by M40
  • Thanks 1

@M40 Thank you. I did have it on my target list for visual to try and get some minor planets, but never got around to it, but now I've got the camera...

I'd often look at Uranus visually, as it was nice to see the green tint before I'd pack up for the night. The last target was usually that or the Pleiades - I love the colours and depth of the image when seen through an eyepiece.

I'll look up the asteroid map.

I've also observed Vesta recently via EAA. Not the most exciting of targets but it's nice to find and identify it. I'm particularly pleased with this snapshot from mid-January when Vesta was passing by M1 ...

VestaVisible15.0sx40023framesD15_01_2024T22_11_22Marked.thumb.png.b504e43fd4c48a2d04bf6a267aa42e68.png

This was taken with the 72mm refractor, Uranus-C (IMX585) camera, no darks or flats, 23 x 15s exposure, x400 gain.

• Like 3