NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Exposure times Evostar 72ed - Star Adventurer 2i

Hi there! Newbie here. 

I have a Sky Watcher 72ed on a Star Adventurer 2i mount. My polar alignment is good and everything is balanced well. 

One problem I'm having is that, i get star trails on any subs I take that are over 7 seconds long. I've read on various different forums and threads that some people can get 30+ seconds using the same set up. I will add that I'm unguided and I'm not sure if this is my problem.  

Does anyone have any advice on how to get longer subs? 

Is the Star Adventurer 2i better suited to shorter focal lengths? 

Any help is greatly appreciated 😊 thank you! 

I agree you should be able to expose for longer without trailing even at that focal length, but it also depends on where in the sky you are pointing. When you say PA is good how are you performing and measuring it?

If the OP used the SA Console and snap cable to run a session, the settings in the app will overwrite the default settings and the unit will stop tracking when the sequence ends. Weird but that's the way it works. Possible explanation for the trails even if PA was good.