NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best tripod for Az-eq6?

Hi, 

I've seen a tripod called a berlebach planet, used with this mount, but wondered what is considered the best tripod for this. Assume it needs to support the mount to its max spec, of approximately 25kg, plus weight of mount, of course 🙂

Assume also that I may need to use it on grass and hard surfaces. 

Thanks 

Mark 

Edited by Flame Nebula

The wooden tripods are better at absorbing any vibrations and also your fingers don't freeze when touching it in the winter. Oh and they look much better.

• Like 1

The planet is a good match for the AZ-EQ6 and will easily take the weight. Using them on grass is fine but if doing AP then you have to be careful about sinkage with the weight which can ruin your images.

39 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The planet is a good match for the AZ-EQ6 and will easily take the weight. Using them on grass is fine but if doing AP then you have to be careful about sinkage with the weight which can ruin your images.

At least I can then add grass/tripod as well as seeing, light pollution, thermals, general equipment issues and software, as the reason for the crappy images. 🤣

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

And now I've just checked the price. Just checking for suitable emoji... 🤯

• Like 1

Just now, Flame Nebula said:

And now I've just checked the price. Just checking for suitable emoji... 🤯

Remember that the mount comes with a 2" Stainless steel tripod which is very stable. I am just going to stick with it for now anyway.

1 minute ago, bosun21 said:

Remember that the mount comes with a 2" Stainless steel tripod which is very stable. I am just going to stick with it for now anyway.

Ah, I assumed we'd be ripped off and need to get a separate tripod! 🙂 You've just cheered me up! As you can see, my focus has been disproportionately on trying to figure out what scopes to get. I'm trying to avoid mistakes, as I've been saving up for nearly three years, especially to get some nice kit. Other expenses have meant a slow savings trajectory, but also I knew jupiter would be coming into its best this year, so that's long term planning for you. 😉

• Like 1

I am in a similar position as yourself in that I have just bought the AZ-EQ6 about a month ago and can't decide which scope(s) to put on it. I have the 10" go to dobsonian to use in the meantime. I love planetary imaging but the 10" basically has that covered. I will be getting a refractor again for sure, probably a 125mm SM. Decisions, decisions 🤔.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I am in a similar position as yourself in that I have just bought the AZ-EQ6 about a month ago and can't decide which scope(s) to put on it. I have the 10" go to dobsonian to use in the meantime. I love planetary imaging but the 10" basically has that covered. I will be getting a refractor again for sure, probably a 125mm SM. Decisions, decisions 🤔.

Indeed! I hovered between the 10-12" newt option, but I've effectively decided to gamble on a sct for planetary AP, with the hope I don't get a pile of rubbish with respect to its visual ability. I know I'm taking a risk, but I think I prefer rear view observation. Better for my back in long term. Plus, my Backup plan is to get a used SW 120ed, a scope many here rate highly and I'm going with that(plus many good reviews elsewhere). I'm sure 5 inches of ED refractor will satisfy my grab and go/sharp/contrast/e&f/pup requirements. 🤪🤣. Then I expect the C9.25 to satisfy my astrophotography on jupiter and saturn, but potentially on smaller dso. Plus, when I win the lottery(😂😂😂😂), I could add a starazona Hyperstar to turn it into an f2 ultra fast wide angle dso imager! No refractor or newt that I'm aware of, can match that F2 dso capability (stands back and waits.... 😬😬

• Like 1