Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASIAIR v1 and EQ6R - OTA would collide with mount while slewing..

Just got myself an ASIAIR v1 and after a lot of messing around (it wouldn't spot it over USB..) I finally got it hooked up to my EQ6R via a syscan wifi adaptor and EQMOD

Just re-doing the connection (etc) process during the day to check I can do it outside at night and using the ASIAIR software to slew to targets.

I was just randomly hopping from target to target - I was slewing from Deneb to M41 and noticed the back of the OTA was about to hit one of the  az adjustment bolts on the mount... I quickly hit the clutch and stopped the OTA before metal hit metal..

The OTA is slid quite far forward so it's weight (with diagonal / eyepiece etc)  is balanced so I was surprised about this - I've not noticed this when slewing with the skyscan app and with a much longer OTA..

Any thoughts?? is there a software setting change I need to make ?? 

mount_overlap.jpg

Not sure there is. If you're imaging however it will automatically meridian flip when it gets to 90 degree east or west from home position, it should anyway, the gen1 is the only air which doesn't have all the software features contained in all the other airs.

• Like 1

Is it just the thumb screws that it'll hit?  If you know the thread type and screw length I can have a look in my bit box.  Got some knurled thumb screws that might be shorter and work for avoiding collision.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Is it just the thumb screws that it'll hit?  If you know the thread type and screw length I can have a look in my bit box.  Got some knurled thumb screws that might be shorter and work for avoiding collision.

That is a good idea but I think it would still have grazed the mount - I've probably got some stainless allen bolts I could swap in for a test,  manually slew it across to see if if would actually hit. When it got the c925 I was thinking of replacing the dovetail with a Losmandy-type Dovetail which would offset the OTA probably 2 cm away from the mount - maybe the sum total of shorter bolts and a larger offset would sort it.

Quick update. 
Got everything out onto the terrace last night and decided to try the ASIAIR out. Told it to slew to the moon - it missed by a long way, pretty much 90 degrees out and once more the OTA nearly hit the mount... 
I decided to park the mount and start again. The mount parked pointing the OTA 90 degrees out on the RA.
I powered the mount off, released the clutch, turned the OTA to the right position and powered the mount back on.
Back in the ASIAIR, slewed the mount to the moon and it was only about half a moon out.
Problem solved - it seems my process will be connect the mount, park it, rotate the OTA, power back on, enjoy my viewing :) 

It's one of the first checks to do. Before PA and after PA I always send to home to check the home position (scope on top of and in line with mount pointing towards the pole).