Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun

Richard N

I keep saying that I should buy a solar filter to extend my observation time but you resumed perfectly well why I'm not bothering. The sun doesn't seem to show much here either 🤣

Nice sketch! It makes me want to try solar sketching too :) 

• Like 1

Just now, SwiMatt said:

I keep saying that I should buy a solar filter to extend my observation time but you resumed perfectly well why I'm not bothering. The sun doesn't seem to show much here either 🤣

Nice sketch! It makes me want to try solar sketching too :) 

White light filters are quite inexpensive and do give an added opportunity for astronomy. With the sun being fairly active at the moment, I couldn’t resist getting one at Kelling. I decided to get the Baader ASTF. It’s a good design and Baader are a trusted company - important for solar observations. I can’t see myself buying a “proper” solar scope as it would soon go rusty here. 

Just now, Richard N said:

White light filters are quite inexpensive and do give an added opportunity for astronomy. With the sun being fairly active at the moment, I couldn’t resist getting one at Kelling. I decided to get the Baader ASTF. It’s a good design and Baader are a trusted company - important for solar observations. I can’t see myself buying a “proper” solar scope as it would soon go rusty here. 

I saw the Baader ASTF also has a higher price tag, compared to just getting the foil and mounting the filter oneself. Do you know whether it comes with longer expected lifespan, or is it just that you don't have to dabble in crafts to mount it?

1 minute ago, SwiMatt said:

I saw the Baader ASTF also has a higher price tag, compared to just getting the foil and mounting the filter oneself. Do you know whether it comes with longer expected lifespan, or is it just that you don't have to dabble in crafts to mount it?

The performance of the Baader film will be the same (if you mount it properly). The Baader ASTF acts as a sunshade for your scope, is easily adjustable and has a very secure attachment system. To me, those things were worth the extra money. YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Richard N said:

The performance of the Baader film will be the same (if you mount it properly). The Baader ASTF acts as a sunshade for your scope, is easily adjustable and has a very secure attachment system. To me, those things were worth the extra money. YMMV. 

Very clear. Thanks! 

Apart from using Baader film one can also try a continuum filter on the EP to show maybe some  granualar detail or  stack a uv/ir and #56/58 filter .

Both might   show some more umbra and penumbra detail .

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 2