Advice on goto mount for visual

Afternoon all

Please can experienced people suggest a simple-to-use goto alt-az mount for a Skywatcher Startravel 120. Purely for visual observation, mainly wide field. Fast set up is more important to me than accurate tracking.

OTA length 660mm, weight 4.1kg. I'm going to be using a 2" diagonal and eyepiece.

Many thanks for any advice.

Your options for a Alt-Az GoTo fall into two groups, those barely adequate for your 4.1Kg scope (and don't forget the added weight of finder and eyepiece) and those like the Az-EQ5 with a much greater capacity and a much higher price tag.

One of our astro club menbers had the ST120 on an Ioptron alt-az GoTo, IIRC. 

Other have mentioned the AZ GTI which might struggle a little once you have finder and EPs on the scope. But the slightly bigger brother with a 6kg capacity with a decent tripod may serve you well.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gtix-dual-saddle-alt-azimuth-astronomy-mount.html?_gl=1*cgyx00*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTc5ODM2MTE2MS4xNzEwNDEyNTg2*_ga_F6VGWQ0MW9*MTcxMDQxMjU4NC4xLjAuMTcxMDQxMjU4NC4wLjAuMA..

• Like 2

This is why I bought the AZ-GTiX, which has a stated capacity of 6kg one side and 10kg total.

My previous mount was rated at 5kg, but when I uprated the finder, got a 2" diagonal, etc. it was pushing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zermelo said:

This is why I bought the AZ-GTiX, which has a stated capacity of 6kg one side and 10kg total.

My previous mount was rated at 5kg, but when I uprated the finder, got a 2" diagonal, etc. it was pushing it.

Likewise. Mine carries a Starfield 102ED, weight about 5.3kg with all the trimmings, including a 2" diagonal, on a Berlebach Report tripod.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zermelo said:

These mounts seem a lot happier with some counterbalance, either a second OTA or some weights. It turns a lot easier on the Az axis.

btw, I bought a SW 1.75" steel tripod for mine.