SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Encke (or Enke?) gap - who's seen it?

Hi Everyone 

Who has seen this, and in what scope? I've seen Encke minima also mentioned, but for the purpose of this post, I'm referring to the thin dark line that is seen in some photos, near the outer edge of the rings. 

Thanks 

Mark 

• Like 1

I've never managed to see the Encke Gap / Division as far as I'm aware. The best views I ever had of Saturn were with my 12 inch dob when the planet was relatively high in the sky and on one or two nights of the very best seeing I managed to detect what I think was the Encke Minima but never a convincing sighting of the gap itself.

With Saturn being so low from here over recent seasons, such fine detail has been even harder to detect I feel.

What were your equipment, planet location and seeing condition circumstances when you spotted the minima ?

Edited by John
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I've never managed to see the Encke Gap / Division as far as I'm aware. The best views I ever had of Saturn were with my 12 inch dob when the planet was relatively high in the sky and on one or two nights of the very best seeing I managed to detect what I think was the Encke Minima but never a convincing sighting of the gap itself.

With Saturn being so low from here over recent seasons, such fine detail has been even harder to detect I feel.

What were your equipment, planet location and seeing condition circumstances when you spotted the minima ?

Hi John, 

I've not seen it myself. I'm just interested in other people's experiences.