NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 6inch SCT V's Skywatcher 127mm Mak Cass

Has anyone ever compared these two scopes for dSO and planetary - I’m assuming the Mak will win outright for planetary and lunar but it would be good know if anyone has ever compared both side by side and which comes out as the best all rounder 

I've owned a C6 and an Intes-Micro Mak-Cass concurrently. The C6 was an excellent performer and surpassed the Intes-Micro (which was also an excellent performer) in planetary, lunar, and DSO performance. It also allowed for a wider FOV and was a pleasure to use with binoviewers. They were basically the same size, but that extra inch of aperture on the C6 made a real difference at the eyepiece.

I think the C6 is an underappreciated telescope. So small and easy to mount, yet quite capable and versatile. On nights of decent seeing, the planetary performance of the C6 bested my Takahashi FC-100DC. (I assume this may be my last post before I'm banned for flagrant heresy.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree with @The60mmKid 

4 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

I think the C6 is an underappreciated telescope. So small and easy to mount, yet quite capable and versatile...

The C6 is an under-rated telescope. I think even on one of Ed Tings YouTube videos, he also said it was under-rated, as everyone wants the C8 or C9.25, then regret it later because of the extra weight.

Though not an ideal comparison to the question asked, I have a C6 and ETX-105. They are about the same focal length. I cannot find any difference in performance. The only ‘real’ difference are the focal ratios... C6 = 1500mm @f10 and the ETX-105 = 1470mm @f14

• Like 2

I have had two SW127mm Maks and a C6.

I preferred the C6 as it showed more planetary detail and had better light grasp for DSO’s than the Mak.

The C6 came close to, but did not beat my 4” APO.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3