NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice fitting dovetail bar

I have a Meade LX90 SCT which came with a Losmandy bar, but I need a Vixen style dovetail for my mount.

I bought a dovetail bar, but I'm not sure how to attach it to the OTA. There are risers of some sort which the Losmandy was attached to.

Should I remove the risers and screw the dovetail directly to the tube or put screws through the risers into the tube?

See pics 

PXL_20240301_131942220.thumb.jpg.ec37e8351f58f63b856e0f7ce3eaabfd.jpg

PXL_20240301_131958903.thumb.jpg.6dd45b300fc19a6a21ff21aac74e84c3.jpg

Hopefully @Peter Drew sees this and he will be able to advise the best coarse of action to take.

Do you have the Losmandy bar? For added security you could attach the Vixen compatible below.

If the centre screws are long enough, you maybe able use them. Not sure whether the are US imperial or metric threads though.

• Like 1

Bolting the Vixen to the Losmandy as described by @RT65CB-SWL would be my first choice.
I have access to good drilling and tapping tools so it is easy.
Not having sight of the Losmandy bar I don't know if there is drilling involved.
The only contra indication is if your mount is on the weight limit.

Option 2 (again drill/tap required) is a couple of short lengths of ali bar (1/2" sq?) on the old Losmandy fixings to space the Vixen bar off the OTA.

HTH, David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1