Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APM 16x70 binoculars

Does anyone know where it is possible to buy APM 16x70 ed binoculars in the UK? Astrograph have shown them out of stock for a long time. Have they stopped being available because of Brexit?

Even APM  in Germany only very occasionally have them showing in stock and very quickly they go out of stock.

I would prefer to buy in the UK. As if there is a problem it is easier to get them replaced or fixed.

David

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but I do recommend Teleskop Service, who sells the same binocular: https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/binoculars-spotting-scopes-microscopes-range-finders-31/binoculars-with-porro-prisms-99/apm-ms-16x70-magnesium-ed-apo-binoculars-with-nitrogen-fill-9356

TS has outstanding customer service and, in my experience, pays for return shipping if the item arrives damaged. I haven't had positive experiences with APM, but I've had consistently excellent experiences with TS.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I will start saving up!

I don;t really understand how importing things from Europe works now. The TS website says that the price includes 19% V.A.T.  I presume this is  German V.A.T. which would be taken off the price and I would then have to pay 20% UK V.A.T. to the UK Government?

Are there any extra charges like import duties?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dark star said:

I don;t really understand how importing things from Europe works now. The TS website says that the price includes 19% V.A.T.  I presume this is  German V.A.T. which would be taken off the price and I would then have to pay 20% UK V.A.T. to the UK Government?

Yes, I think that's how it would work. They'd deduct the EU VAT, and then you'd get an invoice in the mail from Parcel Force once the item is in customs to pay the 20% UK VAT. They deliver the item once the fees are paid.

It's a minor hassle, but TS is a trustworthy company.

2 hours ago, dark star said:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Anything costing over £135 (that amount includes the delivery charge) attracts import tax, and the carrier makes a handling charge to cover their work collecting the tax on behalf of HMRC  , it was around £10 on average last time I checked (over a year ago) and varied quite a bit between carriers, Royal Mail were £8, one of the cheaper options.

You start your calculations with the VAT-less price plus P&P you are charged by the retailer, add whatever customs duty % are due, take that total to calculate the 20% UK VAT, then add the handling charge.