SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Uranus test runs with the 12" (26/2/24)

Kon

I have been fighting collimation issues with the 12" but I think I am almost there. The seeing was awful today but it gave me an opportunity to get on with the collimation, especially using Jupiter's moons for the task. I then opted to capture Uranus and see how the 12" behaves. I am blown away that from a quick 10min run and stacking 10% of the frames, I was able to resolve Miranda, which required nearly 20min of stacked data with my 8". The polar hood popped as easily. I also did a quick colour capture despite the bad seeing (I got an ADC but I want to improve the collimation before adding more parameters). I have to say that I am loving the goto and the fact the planets just sit in the front of the sensor. I am really excited for the new planetary season later in the year. 12" goto, asi462mc or mm with UV/IR or IR pass (685) filters, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.7ed79b3f07d946cb8205d3b33f303497.pngimage.png.99693ffad3a02cf71173a09a7fde3dbe.pngimage.png.af238b0dc69a2d0293491823aa39d56f.png

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Ratlet said:

Cracking images.  You'll still be using your radar arms for the iss though?

Yes and no. Yes manual until my mate helps me setup the ISS tracking software to capture it with the goto.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kon said:

I have been fighting collimation issues with the 12" but I think I am almost there. The seeing was awful today but it gave me an opportunity to get on with the collimation, especially using Jupiter's moons for the task. I then opted to capture Uranus and see how the 12" behaves. I am blown away that from a quick 10min run and stacking 10% of the frames, I was able to resolve Miranda, which required nearly 20min of stacked data with my 8". The polar hood popped as easily. I also did a quick colour capture despite the bad seeing (I got an ADC but I want to improve the collimation before adding more parameters). I have to say that I am loving the goto and the fact the planets just sit in the front of the sensor. I am really excited for the new planetary season later in the year. 12" goto, asi462mc or mm with UV/IR or IR pass (685) filters, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.7ed79b3f07d946cb8205d3b33f303497.pngimage.png.99693ffad3a02cf71173a09a7fde3dbe.pngimage.png.af238b0dc69a2d0293491823aa39d56f.png

Very nice Kostas. Good to see you coming to grasps with the collimation. Using an ADC will help a good deal when the planets return. I just set the ADC starting point with the horizon and overexpose my image then adjust the levers until any fringing of false colour is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Very nice Kostas. Good to see you coming to grasps with the collimation. Using an ADC will help a good deal when the planets return. I just set the ADC starting point with the horizon and overexpose my image then adjust the levers until any fringing of false colour is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether.

Thanks Ian. Yes I am pleased that it's getting there. Still not perfect but with a few more sessions I should be able to nail it. Secondary is sorted, I think, and it's the case of finding the sweet spot for the primary.

I have never used an ADC before but looking online it seems to be straightforward especially finding the horizon.

• Like 1

Excellent images Kostas, good to see that you’ve broken the back of the collimating issues.

Whilst you’ll still need the ADC for Saturn, with Mars and Jupiter both up at ~60 deg elevation later this year, it’s questionable whether there’s any benefit using an ADC for them. I found that the loss from the additional ADC prism glass was greater than the gain from dispersion correction on Mars once it was above ~50 deg last time around. It will be a case of try it and see.

Unfortunately, Mars is going to be a pretty small (<15”) this coming apparition - we never get the best views when it is high in the northern hemisphere. Those in the southern hemisphere are the ones that periodically get it both big and high.

Geof

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Excellent images Kostas, good to see that you’ve broken the back of the collimating issues.

Whilst you’ll still need the ADC for Saturn, with Mars and Jupiter both up at ~60 deg elevation later this year, it’s questionable whether there’s any benefit using an ADC for them. I found that the loss from the additional ADC prism glass was greater than the gain from dispersion correction on Mars once it was above ~50 deg last time around. It will be a case of try it and see.

Unfortunately, Mars is going to be a pretty small (<15”) this coming apparition - we never get the best views when it is high in the northern hemisphere. Those in the southern hemisphere are the ones that periodically get it both big and high.

Geof

Thanks Geof. I have plenty of time until later in the summer to have it spot on.

I have always been frustrated with my Saturn and I knew what I needed but now having the goto setting up the adc should be 'straight' forward.

• Like 2