NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser location in c6

Hi, I currently have a Celestron Astro fi 6 and looking to put it on a we mount.  If I do this the focuser will be on the left hand side of the scope instead of the more traditional right, I will be adding a Zwo focus motor to this as well.  Does it really matter which side the focuser is on?  Also i will be adding a 50mm guide scope on to this as well, as there is no was of adding a top rail, would it be ok to add the guide scope to a shoe instead. Or would it be best to take the dovetail off as add a set of tube rings will new rails. Thank you for all answers that may be given 

The Celestron C6 is not really the ideal OTA for deep sky imaging (which I assume you are contemplating). 

ADM do a range of kits for fitting an accessory bar to the side of SCTs of various sizes, using adapter blocks and the existing holes (but not for the C6, so far as I can see). 

I don't think it matters which side the focuser is on.  It's to the side on one of my SCTs and to the bottom on the other.

we mount??

Do you have a standard focus knob (sticking out of the back towards you if you're behind the scope) or an external focuser attached to the back so it's like a refractor rack and pinion or Crayford focuser?

Any reason why you need to fit an auto focuser, SCTs have generous focus travel and are easy to focus.

If your OTA is anything like my C6 there are two positions on the top where you can mount finder shoes, I fitted two of the Baader ones as they suited it for hole positions.

It is the.standard focus knob, on the Astro fi when it is on the mount the knob is at the bottom, so it will move to the left when mounted on a eq mount.  I know the c6 is not the best for DSO, but I have one and want to try 

I take it you're planning on using the F6.3 reducer and autoguiding? I found when imaging like this the tracking wasn't the best, even when using an off axis guider to autoguide and this was on a gem28, but I suspect there may have been a software issue at play. It depends greatly on what you want to image, the resolution you get is quite astounding, it just takes a long time to image DSO targets like nebulae and galaxies.

Edited by Elp