Stellamira 125 for imaging?

Has anyone used this scope for imaging? I'm looking for something to image galaxies and small nebula. I have heq5 belt modded mount and this scope seems a good fit for that.  I've been looking at RC6/Rc8s but the collimation puts me off. Would this scope do the job?

I also have a 90mm stellamira which I like and a 553mc.

I think a 125mm scope on an HEQ5 is probably pushing the limits a bit for imaging, but it might be OK. In terms of the scope itself, there is no reason why it could not be used for imaging galaxies. (Currently there is also a customer return on offer for a reduced price). I use a 115mm triplet on my HEQ5 which gives very good results on the slightly larger galaxies.

Although an RC8 could be used on an HEQ5 - it really is at the limit. I tried mine and the guiding errors were too large to be acceptable. The 6" would be fine. I would say that I do not find the RC collimation too bad - also once right it very rarely needs adjusting.

• Like 1

I use the sm125 on an heq5 and it is a great mount for that telescope. I also have an sm85, similar to your sm90 and the two are very simliar weights. I don't do imaging as such, I stick with eeva, so I can't offer anything in that respect plus as I've not had the 125 very long I am still playing but I've noticed a couple things that would be of interest to you. The sm125 is very long so your mount needs to be very stable to avoid vibration. The sm125 will enable to image the smaller galaxies which is the reason I got it. As Clarkey mentioned, there is a customer return due to a blemish on the carbon fibre pattern which won't affect it's performance.

Just a comparison for you.....

Screenshot_20231129_122433_OneDrive2.thumb.jpg.8adaf48d660ec9834bf02f467e8cd46f.jpg

• Like 1