NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old f70060 telestar

Hello, thanks in advance and thank you for any welcomes! I recently found a Meade telestar, f70060 (what I gather is the commonly used name). It's been very hard finding information about it, but I'm realizing it may not matter if I get decent future proof equipment. My real question is what are the new standards for equipment?  It has this garbage tripod with tiny knobs, telescope mounted by two bolts. 965 focuser. It looks like plenty of adapters exist for all of these problems but what are the new standards I should be adapting to, so I can upgrade later down the road. Thanks again!

I just looked this up. You have an entry level, and to some below entry level refractor.

Personally I think you should just get out there and use it on the moon, planets and large nebula.

The small amount you gain from those first outings will be invaluable to you when taking on board future equipment advice.

Don't forget that when you upgrade you can pass on this refractor despite its limitations and perhaps spark another young mind down the path of astronomy.

As to standards of equipment that is a wide open question. No one telescope and mount does it all.

Marvin