NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

20mm or 4 mm, bare with me on this..

I have 5 eyepieces. A mixture of Radians and Delites (No Radian bashing please) with a 32mm TV Plossl. They range from 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 13mm and 32mm. The 32mm gives me x27 and the 13mm gives me x67.

I am considering buying a 6th eyepiece (although I am questioning if I actually need one) The I question is do I buy a 18/20mm eyepiece or go for a 4mm for a little more power for planetary. 4mm would give me x220.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Edited by Moonlit Night

Hello. I use a TeleVue 102. I already have really good 5 mm and 6 mm eyepieces. I don’t like zooms, especially with a 50 degree fov with an un-driven mount. I use a Gibraltar HD4, a lovely thing and without doubt the most solid mount I ever used. 

But I am guessing perhaps a 4 mm is the way to go? 

Edited by Moonlit Night
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

if you don't want to be ridiculed for paying TV prices.

I only ever buy second hand gear. Good for the wallet, married life and most importantly our home planet. Buying anything from new should be avoided at all costs in my book. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moonlit Night said:

There is the binoviewer option, where you can use longer focal length eyepieces and a barlow or GPC on the nose of the viewer to amplify the image (very comfortable as you maintain the long eye relief. In 2016 I observed mars in this way, and the scope -a Tak FC100DC - was mounted on an AZ4.

11 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

There is the binoviewer option, where you can use longer focal length eyepieces and a barlow or GPC on the nose of the viewer to amplify the image (very comfortable as you maintain the long eye relief. In 2016 I observed mars in this way, and the scope -a Tak FC100DC - was mounted on an AZ4.

Unfortunately 102’s are not binoveiwer friendly. I have used them in the past and to be honest I just didn’t get on with them. 

• Like 1