NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tired of shopping: EdgeHD vs RASA vs Hyperstar

Hi SGL;

Thanks for the kind welcome on the welcome board.  Thought I'd make a more substantive post.  I've been shopping the used market for either a RASA, or an EdgeHD.

I bought a Skywatcher EQ6R-PRO-Wifi mount and got a great deal on it.  Now I need an OTA.

I really don't plan to stand around and peek through a viewfinder.  Why can't I plug a camera in, network to my laptop, take photos and control remotely?  I think I can!

Which leads me to the RASA vs SCT conversation.  RASA's are cheap on the 2nd hand market.  Is there a benefit to buying an EdgeHD and adding a hyperstar if I plan on renote video viewing and photography?

Also is there a special person to talk to regarding access to the buy/sell board?  I'd love to get on and buy things....

Thanks again,

Christopher

Scope-less in New Orleans.

If it's imaging only I think the general consensus will be to go RASA as it's designed for that sole purpose.

I do however like the flexibility of my C6, I can do both visual and AP, imaging planetary at native, long FL at F6.3 reduced and fast and wide with HS.

For access to the classifieds you need to contribute to the forums a little bit, it doesn't take long at all, but most are UK and European based.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Hi Christopher

"Tired of shopping"

Some SGL members spend more time shopping than imaging............. 😆

An EdgeHD with Hyperstar becomes f/2.

Whereas a SCT is f/10, or f/6.3 with a reducer.

So very different Fields of View.

The Edge for large nebulae, the SCT for small galaxies or planetary imaging.

Which do you need ?

As Elp said about buy/sell, to deter people not contributing to the forum.

Michael

5 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Christopher

"Tired of shopping"

Some SGL members spend more time shopping than imaging............. 😆

An EdgeHD with Hyperstar becomes f/2.

Whereas a SCT is f/10, or f/6.3 with a reducer.

So very different Fields of View.

The Edge for large nebulae, the SCT for small galaxies or planetary imaging.

Which do you need ?

As Elp said about buy/sell, to deter people not contributing to the forum.

Michael

So very true about the shopping, or windows shopping at least lol, I like to think it gives us something to do when it's cloudy 🤣

Maybe you could start here and look at examples taken with the kit to see what suits you? - https://app.astrobin.com/equipment/explorer/telescope?page=1

Personally (and I'm no expert) I love the pictures I've seen taken with RASA's, because they are so fast they really pick up some incredible data, dust round nebula etc.

However, to play devils advocate if you have the budget the EdgeHD can be F2, F6.3, and F10 which gives you a lot of versatility for a large range of targets, it really depends on what you want to image, and you might not know that yet.

The good thing is, your mount should be capable with any of the above equipment, so you've started in the right place 👍