Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 6 SE

I have always enjoyed visual astronomy using manual alt/az mounts. I will continue to do so. I have over the years tried out equatorial goto mounts. But have never really got on with them. But I am occassionally frustrated by not being able to find objects. Uranus is proving to be differcult to locate. I have recently been looking to add a Celestron C6 to my collection of smallish and easy to handle refractors. So I have started to consider a Celestron Nexstar 6 SE combined with a Skysync module. I am thinking that a small goto setup where the date,time & location is automatically inputed would make setup much easier and more appealing. Also a handset controller ( easier for me) as opposed to tablet or mobile phone control of the telescope. How good are the Nexstar 6 SE's to transport and operate with the Skysync?

Another question crossed my mind, are the 6 & 8 Nexstar SE mounts the same. I always thought that they were. But I have recently seen that the Nexstar 6 SE has a payload of 5 kgs. The Nexstar 8 SE OTA exceeds 5 kgs.

Should I buy The Nexstar 6 SE for the need to locate differcult objects?

Edited by Grump Martian
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi Martin 

The mount is the same for both scopes ... in fact the 8" SCOPE (IMO ) is a bit big for the mount . I think the 6" is just right . The issue i found with the Nexstar seies is the fact that they are overpriced . The mount can only be moved electronically , whereas the evolution series mount can be moved manually . 

Stu

• Thanks 1