Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Damp garage issue solved (sort of)

CraigT82

Having lived here for over a year now I have struggled with the moisture levels in my garage. Adding air bricks and soffit vents helped stop condensation forming on the cold surfaces within but it’s still very damp with mould forming on wood and textiles that are stored inside.

Also now having finally got around to fitting the new mirror set to my 300p I was not going to let it live in this damp space! Hence the garage dry room was born! A few bits of wood screwed to the floor and walls and some cheap poly sheeting  I’ve created a separate room within the garage where my Astro stuff is now stored along with the outdoor furniture cushions to stop them going mouldy too.

inside I’ve got a desiccant humidifier which keeps it under 50% humidity for minimal running costs of around 20p per day over the last few days.  However that should go down as everything inside and the walls dry out and it no longer has to work as hard.

IMG_0859.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

• Like 6

Looking at the open ceiling / pitched roof space you have doesn't help with the damp , any cold air sinking causing damp to settle.

Maybe consider insulating the rafter space of the pitched roof leaving an air gap to the sarking and then cover over the rafters with aluminium insualtion roll.

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 1

Yes I have thought about boarding up the roof joists and insulating above but I have so much stuff stored in the rafters in need to find somewhere else for it all to live. I also get a lot of moisture coming through the single skin brick walls too so have bought a couple of tins of Thompsons water seal to paint onto the outside in the summer when they are dry to stop that moisture migrating through