NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5 Question

I got a QHY5 a couple of weeks ago to replace the SPC900NC (SC1) as my guide camera. With the SPC900 there was a bunch of control options in the camera driver. For my QHY5 I don't seem to have any options for controlling brightness, gamma, shutter, gain or anything like that - both PHD and guidemaster have a gain slider but there doesn't seem to be any other way of tweaking the camera - the camera dialog gives a blank square with one tick box, am I missing part of the driver?. Are there any owners of QHY5s out there who can help?

Sam

hi Sam

that's about it in guidemaster although you can also adjust the maximum exposure length in one of the tools menus. For guiding with a qhy5 i have never needed any more than these settings with guidemaster. It is a noisy camera to be honest but its never caused any probvlems or let let me down

I don't have any control options in PHD with my QHY5 other than adjusting the exposure legnth either Sam. AFAIK, that's just how it is but I would imagine if you wanted to use it for lunar and planetary imaging there would be some options in the software (which I can't remember the name of!).

Tony..

Download the latest pre-release version of phd, then download the ascom drivers via the link to mr.toms driver page from the qhy download page.

This will give you a new camera to choose in phd, ascom camera, choose it, then in the ascom chooser click the drop down and choose the qhy5, now click properties, this will give you the GAIN control only (I really, really don't understand why you only get access to it here). If you want to adjust gamma then move the slider at the bottom of the PHD window.

For guidemaster you also get 2 other options for ENR (Enhanced Noise Reduction) and Binning. the ENR option will get rid of any horizontal banding issues. and binning does waht it usually does (combine 2x2 pixels to make a super pixel, smoothing out noise).

Thats about it really.

Download the latest pre-release version of phd, then download the ascom drivers via the link to mr.toms driver page from the qhy download page.

This will give you a new camera to choose in phd, ascom camera, choose it, then in the ascom chooser click the drop down and choose the qhy5, now click properties, this will give you the GAIN control only (I really, really don't understand why you only get access to it here). If you want to adjust gamma then move the slider at the bottom of the PHD window.

For guidemaster you also get 2 other options for ENR (Enhanced Noise Reduction) and Binning. the ENR option will get rid of any horizontal banding issues. and binning does waht it usually does (combine 2x2 pixels to make a super pixel, smoothing out noise).

Thats about it really.

Reggie, where's the ENR and binning options? I can't find them anywhere in guidemaster.

Sam

Archived