NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 18/01/24.

bosun21

I attempted Jupiter again but the Jetstream destroyed the seeing yet again. I am still finding my way through processing and have been very aware of over sharpening the image. I have attached two images. One of which is softer and the other sharpened of a different image (too much in my opinion). I too may throw in the towel until the next apparition. These are just single SER files. The artifact on the limb of the sharpened image is very off putting. I actually prefer the softer image. SW 250 go to dob, 3x TV Barlow ASI585MC.

17_53_12_lapl4_ap158.png

2023-11-30-2110_0 WIN.png N2.png

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 11

I also prefer the first softer image. To me, having done mostly visual, it just looks far more natural. I’ve been through the “over sharpening” thing in mobile imaging where I think it’s even easier to get caught-up in and where you are very much on your own. 

• Like 1

Very nice images Ian. It seems that you are enjoying the new Job, how are you finding it with the goto? I think the first one is much more natural. The only thing I would change would be to up the gamma a little bit to make it a bit brighter.

You can always try blend a more sharper image with a softer to get the intermediate look. But with bad weather images I am not sure the extra effort is worth it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Very nice images Ian. It seems that you are enjoying the new Job, how are you finding it with the goto? I think the first one is much more natural. The only thing I would change would be to up the gamma a little bit to make it a bit brighter.

You can always try blend a more sharper image with a softer to get the intermediate look. But with bad weather images I am not sure the extra effort is worth it.

My sentiments exactly. If the single stacked images from AS4 are poor I forego compiling them in Winjupos etc. I can normally tell during capture when the planet alternates from clear and defined to a bowl of soup on the screen. I am well and truly hooked now. The scope is working great. I check the collimation on site before every session and spend time levelling it accurately. I found that this keeps the planet relatively centered in the ROI.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I attempted Jupiter again but the Jetstream destroyed the seeing yet again. I am still finding my way through processing and have been very aware of over sharpening the image. I have attached two images. One of which is softer and the other sharpened of a different image (too much in my opinion). I too may throw in the towel until the next apparition. These are just single SER files. The artifact on the limb of the sharpened image is very off putting. I actually prefer the softer image. SW 250 go to dob, 3x TV Barlow ASI585MC.

17_53_12_lapl4_ap158.png

2023-11-30-2110_0 WIN.png N2.png

I've just done a highly unscientific survey with Mrs D and she says that the bottom one is clearer but looks more artificial. She prefers the top one because it's more natural looking and also because it's at an angle. I think that I can see what she means 😁

• Like 1