Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon yesterday evening

Bugdozer

I was quite pleased to have a clear sky to look at the crescent moon as soon as I got home yesterday evening, and the air was reasonably still too.

Moon15.1.24-2.thumb.jpg.c2dddf5252f0fbb9491e39ac06d3a3a0.jpg

Through the scope with a wide lens, the earthshine was very apparent, so I wanted to try and capture a view similar to what I could see by eye. By combining the above picture (single shot taken on Nikon D90 at 1/200s, ISO 600, prime focus on 5 inch SCT) with another of half a second exposure, I got the image below. I appreciate it's grainy and there are some weird colour casts (I think from internal reflection of the lit portion of the moon) but I think it works as a more artistic rather than accurate image. If you look closely there are two 9th mag stars showing up in it too.

Moon15.1.thumb.jpg.c7ed749dd9f96de4be991d65688658d2.jpg

• Like 8

Very nice bug. It's difficult to combine the the two and in spite of the grain it's a fine artistic shot.

I'm an expat from E. Sussex myself. Where are you from if it's not too personal a question ? Please ignore if it is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dobblob said:

Very nice bug. It's difficult to combine the the two and in spite of the grain it's a fine artistic shot.

I'm an expat from E. Sussex myself. Where are you from if it's not too personal a question ? Please ignore if it is.

No problem, I am in Hastings. For a town of this size it's not bad for observing with comparatively low light pollution on the outskirts, and you don't have to drive far to get to some darker skies.