Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Telescope - What E/P

Hi all,

A strange question, but here it is anyway..

I have just bought a Celestron 9.25 Evolution SCT. Previous scope was a 130mm Reflector to which I added a few Celestron Excel LX E/P's.

Using the 'Occular View' in Stellarium I have been trying to find an E/P that would give me a view of Orion's Belt and failing miserably.

Is there such a beast or am I expecting too much.

Although branded as a Lunar/Planetary telescope, what would be a good choice of Eyepiece to try and view Deep Sky objects?

Thanks in advance

Martin

As in all things, no one telescope does it all. You have a good planetary telescope because it has a long focal length and narrow field of view, whereas to view something like orions belt, M42, you would ideally have a telescope with a shorter focal length and wide field view. 

Have you found the astronomy tools within resources at the top of the page? If you select your telescope, then add your target then add a few eyepieces you will get an idea of what you may see. Try it with the baader hyperion 36mm/72'. All the best.