Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Possible Supernova *EDIT: FALSE ALARM*

Richard N

Comparing my images to PanStarrs, I appear to be seeing a supernova? Is that possible? Panstarrs is the top image. They are aligned and scaled to be identical.

SN Perhaps.JPG

Edited by Richard N
  • Like 2

They don't seem to be scaled identically - the galaxy in the PANSTARRS image is closer to the bright star (HD 65601, I think) than the object in your image.   I'm having some difficulty matching the two images - is it possible that yours is reversed?   In any case, looking at PANSTARRS DR1 on Aladin Lite, I see a star right next to the nearest galaxy (LEDA 2621212).  It may be obscured by the "Galaxy" label in your PANSTARRS shot.  

Edited by Steve in Boulder

6 minutes ago, Steve in Boulder said:

They don't seem to be scaled identically - the galaxy in the PANSTARRS image is closer to the bright star (HD 65601, I think) than the object in your image.   I'm having some difficulty matching the two images - is it possible that yours is reversed?   In any case, looking at PANSTARRS DR1 on Aladin Lite, I see a star right next to the nearest galaxy (LEDA 2621212).  It may be obscured by the "Galaxy" label in your PANSTARRS shot.  

They are automatically scaled and matched by Aladin. I can attach my FITS image if it’s helpful?

Edited by Richard N

3 minutes ago, Richard N said:

They are automatically scaled and matched by Aladin. 

Well, I'm still a little confused by your image, because comparing the two there are brighter stars in PANSTARRS than the brightest star other than HD 65601 (at the top) in your image.  In any case, if you zoom into PANSTARRS DR1 on Aladin Lite at the given coordinates, you can see a faint wisp that isn't identified by SIMBAD.  So potentially a galaxy and a supernova.  

6 minutes ago, Steve in Boulder said:

Well, I'm still a little confused by your image, because comparing the two there are brighter stars in PANSTARRS than the brightest star other than HD 65601 (at the top) in your image.  In any case, if you zoom into PANSTARRS DR1 on Aladin Lite at the given coordinates, you can see a faint wisp that isn't identified by SIMBAD.  So potentially a galaxy and a supernova.  

Here is the complete FITS image. I think you are getting confused because the image I posted was just a screen shot and cropped the frame. Interested in your conclusions.

UGC4169.fits

Edited by Richard N
  • Like 1

Thanks, that was helpful!  I was much better able to orient myself.  I loaded the FITS into ASTAP and annotated it via SIMBAD.  One thing I noticed is related to the bright, but not as bright as HD 65601, star at the left.  If you look at the same position angle from it as your object is from HD 65601, you'll see a similarly shaped, but smaller object.   That object doesn't appear in PANSTARRS.  This makes me think that both objects were caused by something with the optics near a bright star.  

Screenshot 2024-01-10 135128.png

• Like 3

• Richard N changed the title to Possible Supernova *EDIT: FALSE ALARM*