Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How can I set up auto guiding for my SkyWatcher controller?

There's an 'AutoGuider' input in my controller, which looks like an RJ45 socket. As a beginner in astrophotography, I'm not sure if that needs to be connected to a computer which already has a guiding camera connected and use a software or to connect it directly to a camera. I've seen cameras with an RJ45 socket. Does that mean they can track stars automatically without connecting them to a machine?
Also I know about guiding scopes with a separate camera, but not sure how to connect everything together. (I was thinking to have just one camera and use it for guiding at the same time, but I realised that during exposures it wouldn't be able to guide.) So at the moment I only have a tracking mount using this SkyWatcher controller (see below) and would love to get some guidance how to connect it up to a camera and software.

Controller.jpg

Controller2.jpg

Edited by Planetarian

The autoguider port on the handset connects to the autoguider port on the guide camera using the appropriate cable (ST4). The camera is connected to the laptop (usb cable) , the usb cable then returns guide commands back from the guiding software (PHD2) to the mount via the ST4 cable. Combined imaging/guiding cameras tend not to be readily available.

• Like 1

As Peter mentions, you need to have a computer to run a 3rd party application to handle the tracking of a star.  The guide camera is connected as Peter describes with the ST4 cable between camera and mount controller making the adjustments.   It's not as simple as connecting the ST4 ports on the camera and controller and then expecting it to guide, its not that smart.  The ST4 method of guiding is very basic.  Unlike the Synscan system where commands are sent to the control unit, an ST4 is just wires that connect to the same inputs as the NSEW buttons on the handset and if the mount needs a small shove north, the camera closes the connection to the N wire for a short time which moves the mount a small nudge in that direction.  Its like the old manual guiding system where you would watch the star on the cross hairs and make adjustments by pressing the NSEW  direction buttons accordingly 

• Like 1

I see, it makes sense now. Thank you both. I can set the NSEW button speed in the controller and wondering if that speed is applied to the camera guiding as well or just to the physical buttons in general? 

Have you got any recommendations for a basic guide camera / software combo that would do the job?

The speed setting is irrelevant.    The tracking rate is set by that three position slider, so if targeting anything other than the Sun or moon it will be sidereal.  The software will be watching the star's movement and will tell the camera how long the "hold the button" down in order to get the start repositioned.

Basically you need a computer with USB port that can be a dedicated connection (as opposed to a hub) for the camera, the ST4 cable between the camera and the controller.   Software wise,  PHD2 is the go to choice.  The ASCOM platform needs to be installed and some form of software to take the images with a main camera.  APT is one such application.  The good news is both APT and PHD2 are free.

• Like 1