Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moving mount after polar alignment.

Sorry if this isn't the right forum and feel free to move if needed.

Anyways, I have always used my mount in alt az mode for ease of use, it gets me usable images and I have been happy so far, however I polar aligned it the other night and that's it I am now hooked lol (field rotation is a big problem with alt az)

My problem is my location, my front garden has a excellent view of polaris as it faces directly north, but that is about all I can see due to houses, trees etc, just general poor viewing, my back garden is much better, lots to photograph but no view of polaris.

I know you shouldn't touch the mount after polar alignment, but I was wondering if it would help speed up drift alignment if I polar aligned out front and then took the mount out back, it's at the same elevation and a direct straight run.

Is this going to be worth doing? I would love a permanent mount but I only have a small space and nowhere really suitable to keep it out of the elements.

TIA

Nick

Unfortunately, you'd have to polar align again as the slightest shift can knock it out of alignment. If you have the means there are software solutions that enable polar alignment without being able to see the poles, I know the asiair has an experimental option "all sky alignment" which allows this, there may be others too.

4 hours ago, Elp said:

Unfortunately, you'd have to polar align again as the slightest shift can knock it out of alignment. If you have the means there are software solutions that enable polar alignment without being able to see the poles, I know the asiair has an experimental option "all sky alignment" which allows this, there may be others too.

Thanks Elp.

I know it will muck up my initial alignment, but was wondering if it would make a subsequent drift alignment quicker as it should still be fairly close.

I have seen the all sky alignment from zwo and celestron but I am not aware of any options that don't require specific equipment brands as I don't use these 2. 

Your alignment will be slightly quicker (ie on some of my mounts I don't change the altitude when packing away so on next run it's near).

The asiair works with various mounts, it's only the astro cameras (Canon, Nikon and Sony dslr bodies are supported), EAF, EFW that have to be zwo with it.

14 hours ago, Elp said:

Your alignment will be slightly quicker (ie on some of my mounts I don't change the altitude when packing away so on next run it's near).

The asiair works with various mounts, it's only the astro cameras (Canon, Nikon and Sony dslr bodies are supported), EAF, EFW that have to be zwo with it.

Thanks again, I do use a canon as my main imaging camera but an svbony for guiding/alignment, but it is something to think about as I start to upgrade

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Sharpcap includes polar alignment.

It does and I use it out front, but it needs a view of polaris to work so I can't use it where I want to image. 

I don't know if a todmorden pier will work for you in the garden, cost of material is extremely low and being exposed to the elements isn't an issue. Depending on the mount value, you could leave it outside with security fixing bolts (not ones easily removed) and covered. Personally I don't like the idea of leaving stuff outside but it's an option, many people do it.

A quick internet search shows NINA allows PA without Polaris with a 3 point routine, I think it's a plugin for the software. NINA is free as far as I know.

27 minutes ago, Elp said:

A quick internet search shows NINA allows PA without Polaris with a 3 point routine, I think it's a plugin for the software. NINA is free as far as I know.

This right here. Within NINA you can download and use plugins, one of which is a three point polar alignment for when you do not have a view of Polaris. You can choose a starting point in the sky, then the mount slews to two additional points in just RA. 

I prefer to polar align with Sharpcap as I can see Polaris and it's a bit faster, but this plug-in works just fine! 

3 hours ago, Elp said:

I don't know if a todmorden pier will work for you in the garden, cost of material is extremely low and being exposed to the elements isn't an issue. Depending on the mount value, you could leave it outside with security fixing bolts (not ones easily removed) and covered. Personally I don't like the idea of leaving stuff outside but it's an option, many people do it.

I permanent mount is something I am considering, at the moment for a az GTi but I plan on upgrading very soon, though I would be nervous as unfortunately there are number of undesirables around the area, only thing that helps is that they would likey not know what they where looking at and if secured enough would not be worth the hassle ( what a sad thing to have to write :( )

3 hours ago, Richard_ said:

This right here. Within NINA you can download and use plugins, one of which is a three point polar alignment for when you do not have a view of Polaris. You can choose a starting point in the sky, then the mount slews to two additional points in just RA. 

I prefer to polar align with Sharpcap as I can see Polaris and it's a bit faster, but this plug-in works just fine! 

Thanks both, I have NINA and didn't know this so I will take a look.