Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 10 inch dobsonian too heavy to handle.

I have put my 10 inch Dobsonian up for sale. I have recently had a hernia operation and it feels to heavy to lift and move. I would dearly like to keep it and use it. If there is some device to assist. Are there other 10 inch Dob users that share my situation? Please help.

A lot of people who use dobs transport them in one piece on a sack truck: Example. this means they never have to lift the scope in any way, which is great assuming there are no stairs between the place where the telescope is stored and the set-up site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in a similar situation with my 15" truss Dob 23 years ago after a violent car accident tore up my back.  While my back healed up most of the way, I've never really gotten back to 100%.  However, I've kept the Dob with the high hopes of putting it in a dark sky vacation home's shed where it could be wheeled out as needed.  Because of where I have to store it (back of a deep coat closet) and its largest indivisible component (mirror box at 65 pounds), I can't really use it at my current house any longer.

I also had a double inguinal hernia operation 10 years ago.  It took about 6 months to heal up to about 85% of where I used to be able lifting-wise.  I say give yourself time to heal before selling your scope.  I'm able to lift 50 to 60 pounds again despite the bad back, hernias, and advancing age.  As a result, my 8" Dob is not a problem to pick up and move.  Just lift with your legs, take it slowly, and listen to all parts of your body.  Most importantly, give your body time to heal, or you'll tear something and have to start all over.

• Thanks 1

I used to own a 10" flextube. A cheap round coffee table top and rubber castor wheels was my favourite transport.
I put socket type cups on the table top to accept the Skywatcher feet - that ensured the scope didn't slide about during transport.
The odd bit of bouncing over door thresholds didn't upset collimation.
If you think this might help I should be able to rummage out some pictures of the setup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Grump

Do you have space in the garden ?  Is outside storage a solution ?

I have made a box and a 'runway' for mine.  I added some castors to the base & It just slides down the ramp and is ready to go in a minute. 

Since this pic its had another lick of paint and I also made a fold out shelf for bits and bobs.

carl

20231215_090716.jpg

Edited by GasGiant
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

I used to own a 10" flextube. A cheap round coffee table top and rubber castor wheels was my favourite transport.
I put socket type cups on the table top to accept the Skywatcher feet - that ensured the scope didn't slide about during transport.
The odd bit of bouncing over door thresholds didn't upset collimation.
If you think this might help I should be able to rummage out some pictures of the setup.

Thanks. If you can it would help me

Hi Martin.

There are lots of images from the scope sale advert in May 2021.

It was a cheap round coffeee table (£20 from memory) and some rubber tyred castors. I 3D printed the black sockets (still have the files) and screwed them to the table top.
The shiny aluminium tap pieces mark the location of the foot sockets when manhandling the scope onto the base.
I didn't include levelling screws as the scope was used on ground that was near enough flat.

Can't remember why I made the 3 loose parts.  They may have been an idea to keep a free standing (chipboard base) scope off damp ground.

I also 3D printed a lot of parts to make tube end caps, cable covers & handset holder.

IMG_6644.JPG

• Like 1

I own the SW 10” go to flextube dobsonian which is considerably heavier than the standard one. I just fitted longer rubber feet to the base to allow me to slide my sack barrow under it and wheel it around easily. I also did the same thing with my 12” SL dobsonian. One tip is to use a sack barrow with pneumatic tyres. Just wheel it to where you want it and plop it down. I also use bungee cords to hold it securely to the barrow.

Edited by bosun21
  • Thanks 1