NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 7331 - reprocess

ONIKKINEN

Reprocessed some NGC 7331/Stephan's quintet data with just NGC 7331 as the focus:

r_ngc7331-1x_stacked-spcc-bxt-scnr08-layerscopy90p.thumb.jpg.0673930aae11d012aae6d290c5a2e215.jpg

Taken with the usual kit: 8'' f/4.4 newton + TeleVue Paracorr and a RisingCam IMX571 OSC camera. 200x 120s for a total of 6h40min taken across 2 nights a few months ago.

-Oskari

• Like 22

13 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Very nice details, and well done for extracting over 6hrs of data in our currently dire weather.

Apparently this galaxy looks similar to how our own milky way galaxy would appear if we could view it from a distance.

4 hours ago, tomato said:

Superb.👍

Thanks both, actually have over 10 hours for this but a lot of it is completely ruined by high winds resulting in 2-3'' guiding. I think the total would be closer to 12-13h if i had kept all the data that i actually captured, but i delete the worst of the data then and there when i see the subs come in to save some time and effort later in transfering files and time it takes to calibrate and stack by not having obviously failed subs in the mix.

Lovely result, Oskari. This is a remarkably tricky galaxy because of its intensely bright core. This is perfectly balanced. Very nice detail in the little barred spiral above it, too.

Olly

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely result, Oskari. This is a remarkably tricky galaxy because of its intensely bright core. This is perfectly balanced. Very nice detail in the little barred spiral above it, too.

Olly

Thanks Olly, the core took a few attempts to get to where i liked it just because of its tricky brightness relative to the rest of the fairly dim galaxy. Its also curious in how it appears to 'hide' the top part of the galaxy behind it, almost like its a thick halo that extends maybe half the galaxy length but perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy.

Anyway, BlurXterminator was absolutely essential for this image which in this form is around 0.85''/px from a stack that is only pretty good at 2.8'' fwhm.

• Like 1