Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last of the year - Eastern Veil

Budgie1

I just managed to squeeze in a few hours of imaging last night (29th Dec) before the clouds returned, so this will likely be my last imaging session of 2023 as it's currently snowing here!

I started this image on the 2nd December and collected 3h15m worth of 3.5nm Ha data. Last night I collected 40x 300s 4nm Oiii and another 18x 300s Ha. Sadly the high cloud made some of the Oiii and all of he Ha data unusable, so I ended up with 2h25m of Oiii to add to the original Ha data.

Stacking in PI was a dream this time as I've upgraded my desktop to an AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8 course processor and 32Gb of RAM, it stacked 68 x 30mb images with Master Darks & Flats in just over 11 minutes! :D That used to take 30 to 45 minutes with the old processor, so I'm very happy with that outcome.

All processed in PI and I'll probably do it again to alter the colours slightly, now I've seen it on here, but I'm pleased with the detail I've managed to capture, given the cloud issues.

Kit:

• ZWO ASI1600MM Pro at -10°C, gain 139, offset 50.
  • WO Z73 III with adjustable flattener
  • HEQ5 with belt conversion
  • Captured in APT with PHD2 doing the guiding.

NGC6992_EasternVeilNebula_HOO_5h40m_29122023_small.thumb.png.8be3e6ed57f581872f713ac679618810.png

• Like 6

Looking good Budgie as you say some nice detail in there.  I think we shared the same clear sky last night for our last run of the year, conditions here were surprisingly good until well after 3am.  I went for the Garnet Star in IC1396 (an itch I had to scratch). Pulling darks and flats now for processing this evening - certainly won't be imaging -  there is sleet and rain forecast :(   

Jim

5 hours ago, saac said:

Looking good Budgie as you say some nice detail in there.  I think we shared the same clear sky last night for our last run of the year, conditions here were surprisingly good until well after 3am.  I went for the Garnet Star in IC1396 (an itch I had to scratch). Pulling darks and flats now for processing this evening - certainly won't be imaging -  there is sleet and rain forecast :(   

Jim

The clouds came in at just before midnight here, then cleared again for a while, but I'd packed up by then.

I thought about starting IC1396 when the Veil got too low but went for NCG1499 instead and only got some Ha on that target, which I haven't looked at yet.

• Like 1