Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EAA light pollution filter

Hi,

does anyone have any recommended LP filter for EAA/ visual use in urban areas I’m considering the Astronomik UHC or a Badder moon and sky glow filter  - any suggestions welcome 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/astronomik-uhc-visual-deep-sky-filters.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/bneodymium-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrPKeyvq0gwMVUKSDBx0Lpg-2EAQYASABEgL5yfD_BwE

The Astronomik UHC filter is brilliant for visual observation of emission nebulae, but it passes IR which will be detected by most modern cameras so it's not ideal for EAA. I've just switched from the Astronomik UHC filter to the Optolong L-eNhance filter for EAA and it produces better results (less bloated stars).

• Like 1

Having seen what the Seestar S50 can do in moderately light-polluted areas in imaging nebulae, with its built-in switchable light pollution filter, I ordered the similarly specified 1.25" filter made by ZWO. This one: ZWO 1.25" Duo-Band Dual Narrowband Filter | First Light Optics 

I only managed to try it out on one night, because of the near-permanent cloud cover, but used with my 102mm EAA rig it produced an image similar to the Seestar image of the M1 nebula, but double the image scale and better resolved.

This filter, or other filters of similar specification, should produce impressive results with emission nebulae, but I don't expect it to work on galaxies. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Having seen what the Seestar S50 can do in moderately light-polluted areas in imaging nebulae, with its built-in switchable light pollution filter, I ordered the similarly specified 1.25" filter made by ZWO. This one: ZWO 1.25" Duo-Band Dual Narrowband Filter | First Light Optics 

This is a UHC filter that also cuts IR, like the Optolong L-eNhance but less expensive! These filters make a big difference when observing emission nebulae via EAA, but are not useful on other (broadband) targets.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

Would pairing a UHC filter that doesn't cut IR with a UV/IR cut filter help reduce star bloat with EAA?  Would you get weird reflections between the two filters causing issues of their own?

It should have that effect but I haven't tried it. Even a good UHC filter can create halos around stars so in general I think the fewer filters you need to use the better.

17 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

This is a UHC filter that also cuts IR, like the Optolong L-eNhance but less expensive! These filters make a big difference when observing emission nebulae via EAA, but are not useful on other (broadband) targets.

Would the Optolong L-eNhance therefore be the best option? 

7 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Would the Optolong L-eNhance therefore be the best option? 

For EAA, or anything involving a camera, the L-eNhance is a better option than the Astronomik UHC, but for visual the Astronomik filter is better I think.

• Like 1