NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help - How to fit a HM5 polar alignment scope into a EQ3-2 mount ?

Christmas day is here - the Mrs has treated me to a new telescope and a Sky-Watcher EQ3-2 and I also got a HM5 polar alignment scope.

Unscrewed the eyepiece holder / calendar scale from the mount but the HM5 won't fit, should the threaded shaft come out as well ? I've tried to push it , unscrew it etc etc but no joy. It is pretty much the same diameter as the alignment scope... I don't want to force it as they are obviously both new !

I've checked the box the HM5 came in and the box is marked as for EQ3 etc mount

(picture shows the threaded centre in the mount and the alignment scope for size comparison)

Thanks - and Merry Christmas :)
image.png.ac7cc254e9884e8e30d847d65750d869.png

On 25/12/2023 at 10:37, Mr_Cat said:

Christmas day is here - the Mrs has treated me to a new telescope and a Sky-Watcher EQ3-2 and I also got a HM5 polar alignment scope.

Unscrewed the eyepiece holder / calendar scale from the mount but the HM5 won't fit, should the threaded shaft come out as well ? I've tried to push it , unscrew it etc etc but no joy. It is pretty much the same diameter as the alignment scope... I don't want to force it as they are obviously both new !

I've checked the box the HM5 came in and the box is marked as for EQ3 etc mount

(picture shows the threaded centre in the mount and the alignment scope for size comparison)

Thanks - and Merry Christmas :)
image.png.ac7cc254e9884e8e30d847d65750d869.png

I saw this thread on here, whether it's any help I'm not sure. You could drop an email to flo or the retailer you bought it from to ask. 

Edit. 

Just trawling through the Internet and an idea came. When re reading the link I attached. Can you unscrew the black tube of the polar scope marked in my first image and the screw the remaining part of the polar scope onto the threaded part inside your mount? 

Lee

Screenshot_20231228_100704.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_100748.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I saw this thread on here, whether it's any help I'm not sure. You could drop an email to flo or the retailer you bought it from to ask. 

Lee

Thanks for the suggestion :)  Sorry, I should have updated this - I did indeed email FLO  - tbh I was not expecting a quick response as I figured they would be inundated with emails over xmas  - but they responded very quickly  - they confirmed it was a HM5 for an EQ5/6 not an EQ3, issued a return and it is on their way back for a credit note (they did offer a refund but I asked for credit so when the right HM5's arrive I can just order it :) )

• Like 2