Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eta aquarids

Hey all,

Is the eta aquarids metero shower worth watching? Ive heard it peaks on May 5th, with roughly 25-35 per hour, but as the moon will be almost full will you be able to see anything?

hope you can help

joel:headbang:

Shower is caused by dust from Halleys comet and although not a high rate of meteors it will begin and last for several days either side of the maximum.

Problem is that it radiates from a southerly point so the northern hemisphere is not the ideal place to see anything. Really need to be no higher then 40 degree latitude.

Also the best viewing time is early morning, say around 2:00am because this is when the radiant rises above the horizon sufficently for us to see much.

All in all, especially with the moon, the chances of seeing much are minimal.

And having said that it will probably turn into one of the best showers on record and I will get blamed for no-one seeing it.

The posting may have been a little negative but as Warthog says get out and have a look.

Was going to say much the same on the basis that if you are around at the time then nothing to lose by taking a look. You may be at the right place and time to see a burst of several.

What I didn't want to say was make a special effort for it simply because the information I have indicates a steady but not high peak and the origin is low and therefore the best time to view is early morning.

Archived