Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Newest Toy -The Twilight Skywatcher

sojourneyer

Mount is Twilight 1 modified to accept 3/8" tripods and tripod is Skywatcher Star Adventure (same mount as used on the GTi, GTe and Z5 units.

All up weight is 4kgs or approx 8.5 lbs
It also has a flat head Svbony dovetail clamp.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

bottom view.jpg

mount set up 4.jpg

mount set up3.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ags said:

What scope is going on this setup?

I had my 6SE on it last night,  and there were no problems at all.  Vibration was not bad in the least.  The other two scopes I plan to use on it are an 80ED f/7 and a 90mm f/5.5 Achromat.

What surprised me was that the tripod held up well. I knew that the mount would be fine but was worried about the tripod.

Using the lighter tripod took about 10 lbs off the weight of the mount and tripod of a traditional Twilight 1.  The Twilight Skywatcher seemed pretty rigid.

I bought it used 3rd hand. The original owner built a mount base identical to the TW 1 original base with the exception that the bottom of the base is flat and accepts 3/8" bolts. I do not know how he did it. It looks OEM.

With my two bases I can use the mount with almost any tripod. That was my Christmas present to myself for this year.

Edited by sojourneyer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

The very narrow footprint would/does concern me , it would appear from the photo that adding a mount then a 'scope would put the COG outside the footprint making for an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by sojourneyer
added response

Steve,

Sorry to confuse you.  I only had the tripod partially spread out to fit it in the entrance way.

When the legs are fully extended the unit seems very sturdy and rigid.  My test using a 6SE last night confirmed this.

I am very happy with the combination.   I was going to purchase a backup Twilight 1 tripod but now feel no need for this. Shaving 10 lbs off makes it truly a nice grab and go set-up.

Merry Christmas all.

• Like 1