Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Starpointer Pro Finderscope - Modification

I have a Celestron Starpointer Pro Finderscope and I am pleased with it, but changing the battery is a faff, you go out and the battery is flat or flattens during observations then you have to remove the finderscope, remove the cap at bottom, replace battery, then try to replace the cap without crossthreading it, remount the finderscope and may have to realign it again. All in the dark of course. I came up with an idea 💡. and gathered the parts.

Picture 1 The finderscope, a CR2032 Button Coin Battery Holder with ON / OFF switch 99p £3.48 with postage and a Velcro self adhesive pad.

Picture 2  Removing the cap and battery you will see the brass centre bush I drilled this just a little larger than the existing hole, enough for the cables to pass through without being too tight. (Drill it with care a bit at a time if you try to do it in one go the brass heats up quickly and could melt the plastic and become loose)

Picture 3 Solder the leads to the battery contacts in the finderscope Neg -  is centre and Pos + is outer ring. Replace the cap holding the leads so they don't twist up. Insert Battery and test, you can still adjust brightness and once you have the brightness you want you can leave it as you can switch off the finderscope with the switch on battery holder.

Picture 4 Remount the finderscope resize one side of Velcro to fit the back of battery holder, then fit the other side of Velcro where you want and the leads reach, mine is just forward of the finderscope.

Now when the battery goes flat just lift the holder from Velcro pop in new battery and put holder back on Velcro and the switch makes the finder scope easy to switch off and when you switch on the brightness is already set.

Warning this probably kills your warranty if you have any left !!

53407783026_b8f86e8d0a_c.jpg

53408114779_d7f15d6ea5_c.jpg

53406860167_8c8642881c_c.jpg

53408217740_528a3356e1_c.jpg

• Like 2