NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1613 Dwarf Galaxy in Cetus

tomato

Here is another seldom imaged irregular galaxy, not surprising really as it is both faint (magnitude 10) and small (15' across). It is a member of the Local Group and is at a distance of 2.4 million light years, so it is an interesting comparison to make with another Local Group galaxy, M31 which is a similar distance from us.

This is a total of 5hrs integration LRGB with the Esprit150/ASI178 dual rig. I collected a couple of hours of Ha data last night under very poor conditions but it didn't add anything of significance to the image. It really deserves more integration but it seems like ages since I posted a new image so here it is, thanks for looking.

Image05crop.thumb.jpg.2692ff6a62ace13501836e346591601b.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks Wim, yes it peaks at 39 degrees altitude from my location so getting quality data is a bit of a challenge. Also the early evening imaging window coincides with the Xmas lights show and repeated outside lights illuminating the neighbour's pets doing their business, so not ideal.

• Like 1