Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperportable setup for short foray south

Ags

I am looking at doing a brief trip to Greece in a few months, so if take just a backpack, what can go? Leaving photography aside, and assuming I sensibly leave some room for a change or two of clothes and a toothbrush, I am thinking my 50 mm RACI finderscope and AZT6 mount head might be the plan. A 20 mm plossl gives 5 degrees FOV, and my indispensable Svbony 3-8 gives 2.5 degrees FOV at the wide end and 70 mag at the sharp end, which is further than I would normally push the amici prism of the finder. Add my CF tripod and I am good to go, right? Maybe I will squeeze in my NLV 12 mm for a 3 degree field - I think that will be the best balance between magnification and sharpness, using one on my best eyepieces. I'd normally take some star maps, but I guess I'll just work from my phone. I might take a very underused OIII filter and try and catch some nebulae - depending on when we go, I might be able to try and finally catch sight of the Veil.

I could go smaller and more upmarket with my Askar FMA 135, but I think 30 mm aperture is too restrictive. And then I will want to pack the AZ-GTi, battery, laptop, camera... Let's not go there!

At least with but the 50 mm I won't need to bother with a counterweight for the AZT6 - I find I need one even when using a relatively small Zenithstar 66. I will need to attach an RDF to the setup, yes I need one even with a finderscope.

Has anyone tried a similar setup on holiday? I suppose this would be similar to taking binoculars but with a little more flexibility and stability.

Edited by Ags

I had a chance to try out the finder with a few eyepieces tonight. The Svbony 3-8 is out - the little scope has terrible astigmatism, but the NLV 12 mm was ok, especially as I could wear my glasses with that EP. If I do go with this plan, maybe I will just take my NPL20 and NLV 12 - I can wear my glasses with both.