Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ-AL55I

Ags

Actually, it is a few euros cheaper than the EQ35M and EQ5 on this EU site: 

Equatorial mount GoTo / tracking (teleskop-spezialisten.de)

Comparing the RA gears on the EQM-35 and the 55I

• EQM-35: 92.5 mm diameter and 180 teeth
  • 55I: 73.4mm Diameter, 144 Teeth

I think the 55I has the same gear as the regular EQ5 but I am not sure.

I have been informed by one supplier that the mount "probably" does not support Alt-Az mode, despite having a 0-90 latitude range. That's really silly, and if it is the case I am sure they will eventually bring out a firmware option supporting Alt-Az (like they did for the EQ variant for the AZ-GTi). But if this is true, the mount becomes less interesting to me.

Of course it can be used as an Alt-Az mount by setting the RA axis vertical, but the firmware needs to support using both motors for Alt-Az tracking. At least it could be used as a motorized dob, even if it doesn't have tracking or goto. I would like tracking, but unlikely to use goto.

Found a thread on a German forum, one user has tested it successfully with 10kg load for visual use successfully, seemingly with a mak-newt, so both load and length.. Unfortunately I can't seem to link to it.

Edited by Ags

• 2 months later...