NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod advice

MonsterMagnet

I'm looking to change my tripod that I use for AP with a fairly light setup (WO ZS 73, AZ-GTI, ASI533MC Pro, Guide Camera, Asiair, ZWO AF - must be ~6kg tops I would think) and I thought I would tap the hive mind to see if anyone had any advice on these models:

StellaLyra Wooden Tripod - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/stellalyra-wooden-tripod-with-m10-adapter.html

Artcise HS80C - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTCISE-Carbon-Fiber-Bowl-Tripod/dp/B089M36DW9

Innorel NT364C - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099MLC5F3/?coliid=I38P768WN7YJ7A&colid=2ROO952J9P5S1&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Innorel RT90C - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H8V8WWM/?coliid=I3SKK2YU19WHZR&colid=2ROO952J9P5S1&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

At the moment I think I am trying to decide between the StellaLyra and the RT90C.

Thanks.

MM

I have the RT80C which is the slightly smaller model. I also have a Berlebach Report which is similar (although smaller) than the StellaLyra wooden tripod.

The Berlebach is actually nicer. But more expensive than the Innorel. I am guessing for your payload, either will be fine. Question is, what tripod are you now using and why do you want to change it?

• Like 1

I think that orly_andico asked the right questions.  My favorite of the group that you are considering is the StellaLyra.  None of the others have leg spreaders, the bowl adapters don’t interest me, and the spindly lower leg sections don’t seem suited to astronomy.  I have a carbon fiber tripod.  However, my ZWO TC40 is made like the iOptron CF tripod.  They both have leg spreaders, robust two-section legs, and limited height capabilities.  Any of these CF tripods will be much lighter than the wooden alternative. 

Despite the fact that the FLO page specifically states that the fit and finish of the StellaLyra Wooden Tripod “is not equal to a German made Berlebach tripod” it looks promising.  To me this seems like brilliant marketing.  Their statement confirms what you should know anyway. It isn’t possible to duplicate Berlebach quality for ½ price.  But the unasked question remains, “Who are you going to believe, me, or your lying eyes?”

It sure is pretty, isn’t it? 

Don

I will add that the RT80C has a bowl, and to fit a 3/8” tripod screw to it, you have to screw in the provided adapter - which does not rest flush on the bowl, i.e. there is no way to physically keep it level. You have to level everything by eye or with a bubble level, tighten the adapter, and hope it remains level.

Quite an annoyance, I ended up 3D-printing a sleeve to keep the adapter level. This may not be the case for the RT-90C, but something to consider.

16 hours ago, orly_andico said:

I have the RT80C which is the slightly smaller model. I also have a Berlebach Report which is similar (although smaller) than the StellaLyra wooden tripod.

The Berlebach is actually nicer. But more expensive than the Innorel. I am guessing for your payload, either will be fine. Question is, what tripod are you now using and why do you want to change it?

Thanks for the response.

I was using the stock SW tripod which shipped with the AZ-GTI but didn't particularly like it.  I purchased a SIRUI AM-284 carbon fibre tripod for travelling as it will fit in hand luggage and I've been using that lately but want something sturdier for home use which will be most of the time.  I would say even the travel-centric SIRUI actually dampens and vibrates less than the stock SW tripod (this one: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe/sky-watcher-tripod-for-star-adventurer-mini.html).

MM

I've got the NT364, it works just as well as my BB Uni4 for visual or imaging and I've used my azgti setups as well as my gem setups on it. The weight saving over the BB is great. For gusty nights, that's why I've kept the Uni 4.

46 minutes ago, Elp said:

I've got the NT364, it works just as well as my BB Uni4 for visual or imaging and I've used my azgti setups as well as my gem setups on it. The weight saving over the BB is great. For gusty nights, that's why I've kept the Uni 4.

I also use the nt364, with an azgti.  It is not as stable as my 1.75" stainless steel skywatcher tripod but then it weighs a lot less and compresses down to about 2 foot so massively beats out the SW on portability which is kind of the point.

I'm mounting a 130pds on it with a starsense module so I'm pushing the weight limits of the whole thing so it's hanging on by it's teeth.  Great for grab and go though.

EDIT:  Worth mentioning that when using it for visual I had the legs extended so it was about 3 fully extended and the 4th half extended and  had a little bit of wobble at high powers.  Once I got my observing chair I use it with less extension (Think maybe 2.5 to 3 extensions) and it is much more stable, so it is worth considering how much height you will need for imaging as this will make a big difference in the stability if you go down that route.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 1

Generally I keep them low to the ground as much as possible without them tipping over east or west heavy. It's why I bought the Uni 4 as I think it's the shortest one in that range or near it. The nt364 handles my Starfield 102 fine on alt az visual or EQ imaging but I've had to get a pier due to the length of the scope. The mounted scope will make a lot of difference, small refractors or camera lenses are usually moot, get into newtonians and it changes the game, even squat SCTs move the torque load away from the centre of the mount and affect stability.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

Generally I keep them low to the ground as much as possible without them tipping over east or west heavy. It's why I bought the Uni 4 as I think it's the shortest one in that range or near it. The nt364 handles my Starfield 102 fine on alt az visual or EQ imaging but I've had to get a pier due to the length of the scope. The mounted scope will make a lot of difference, small refractors or camera lenses are usually moot, get into newtonians and it changes the game, even squat SCTs move the torque load away from the centre of the mount and affect stability.

What mount are you using with the starfield?  I've still got one beady eye on that scope and the mount is kind of the missing piece of the puzzle.

For visual I use a Tecnosky Cubo, doesn't have slowmo controls (which I though I'd miss) but I find being able to tighten the clutches to your movement liking fine, it also comes with a counterweight bar on the other side so you can balance the load (I had to source shaft rings so I can lock a weight in place but never felt the need to use a CW, the bar also makes for a nice azimuth turning handle). As mentioned I had to source a pier to lift the OTA rear up from the tripod legs. I've noticed one of these mounts available for sale...

I wouldn't say it's the absolute best (I'm quite impatient with astro equipment, if it doesn't work I find and action a solution, the fact I've kept it speaks for itself) but for compactness I wanted a mount similar to the Stellarvue MC2C, and this fit the bill. I mounted a WO vixen saddle as the hole position c2c's are a little odd. It makes for a great quick setup mount for my multiple camera rig when I'm videoing the skies.

For imaging or quick goto observing I use the hem15 or gem28, both of which I've also used with the Innorel 364 (the latter mount needs a converting adaptor plate to mount onto).

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2023 at 11:19, Elp said:

Thanks - good to know that the NT364 dampens well and is good for imaging.

On your other post - I don't have to move it far - just to the roof terrace so weight might not be the major concern.

MM

I have an RT90C and have been quite happy with it.  Much easier to transport than my former Manfrotto 475B, although I do miss the geared center column at times.

IIRC, the bowl thing was an available option but I passed on it and got the basic plate.  It's firmly held in place with a latch on the side.

I've used it with 50mm to 102ED to ST120 refractors.  If anything, I'd say the weak link was the mount, not the RT90C when using heavier scopes.

The Stella does look virtually identical to the Innorel.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1