Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHYCCD PoleMaster software for Ubuntu Linux

v4169sgr

Would like to take this opportunity to put in a good word for the developers and help desk at QHYCCD for making available this recently updated version of their software for Ubuntu Linux and derivatives.

Works flawlessly on Linux Mint 21.2 making polar alignment a breeze - even for me.

Link: https://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/latestSoftAndDirver/Soft/PoleMaster_QtforLinux64Ubuntu_V21.05.18.zip . Please of course familiarise yourself with their documentation.

COOL!  I have a dedicated Windoze machine (the only one I own) that I ONLY use for PoleMaster and iPolar.  I tried running the old version of Linux PoleMaster on a Pi3 once, but it was only barely functional.  That version wouldn't run on a Pi4 or X86_64 box.  I run my INDI drivers and INDI server on each mount on their own Pi4 and image from in the house over the network with a Linux desktop.  It will be VERY nice not to have to setup a Windows machine with monitor out at the mount just for the polar alignment.  If this new version will run on a Pi4, I can just bring out a portable monitor and a mouse and get the job done.

To this, I must add that I recently had a great experience with QHY technical support.  QHY cameras require a SDK on the INDI Server in addition to the indi_qhy_ccd driver.  The SDK runs on X86_64 hardware and Raspberry Pi3 and Pi4 without issue.  However, I bought an OrangePi5Plus running Ubuntu and it would not work, nor was it possible to get a clean compile from source on that hardware.  I contacted support, not expecting much.  But, they were all over it.  They had me up and running the next day.

Alas, the new Linux Ubuntu version of PoleMaster is for amd64 and will not run on arm64 hardware (all the pi boards).  I could replace my mount Pi4 with a little Intel SBC, I suppose.  However, I use a WaveShare motor hat board on the Pi4 driving a stepper-driver motor for a focuser (indi_wmh_focuser).  I'd also have to buy or build some kind of Intel-compatible focuser...probably something USB-ish.  Unfortunate.