Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Alignment routine

Hi guys 

I'm new to astrophotography and have just purchased a EQ6-R-Pro. My current OTA is a skywatcher 150pds. I've been doing visual astronomy since I was 7 years old (im now in my mid 40's)and have been using EQ mounts as long as I can remember, however, I am well aware of the limitations of polar alignment using the polar scope for imaging. I am going to invest in a guide scope and camara ( skywatcher 50ed and ZWO 120MM) and run it through NINA/PHD2. my question is, is it worth buying the qhy polemaster or is the polar alignment plug in though NINA sufficient to get accurate polar alignment?

Many thanks Olly

I have not used a Polemaster but I do have a guide scope and a ASI 120mm. 

Using this combination with one of the three polar alignment routines built into PHD2 usually gets me sub 5' polar alignment error which is more than adequate for my mount (AZEQ6) and scope (F/L 1000 mm).  That said, the polar scope often gets us within 10' and sometimes closer. 

Not sure if a Polemaster, which seems quite expensive, would see much of an improvement?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...