NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using Sharp Cap first time.

In using Sharp Cap for the first time using Full Moon, I Used my Zwo 585MC and using Live View I saw Nothing but a black screen. I could see No view on my laptop. My question in understanding Sharp Cap, Can I use my telescope and focus any land object first, then remove my lens and drop in my ZWO camera. I should see something on my laptop screen?

Getting this gear to work together is something of an art.  You can use an eyepiece in focus as a starting point, but  drop in an astro camera with a 1.25" nosepiece and it will typically be wildly out of focus.  The Moon is not the best object for focusing on.  If you use a bright star, or bright planet, you should get a bright disk (or donut, if using a SCT or Newtonian) and you can adjust focus to minimise its size.   

Note there is no guarantee that your telescope (refractor or Newtonian) will come to focus with this camera at all.

Once you have focus you have a reference point for future use, e.g. get focus with the eyepiece pulled out by 6mm and then substitute the camera.  Or with a refractor or Newtonian, mark the focuser tube. That's assuming the exposure time is correct.  Make it too short and the object, even if on screen, will be invisible (especially if it is out of focus as well). 

Its always best to work in daylight first to get to know what is needed both in software and setup. Point the scope at a tree/chimney, then play with the scope with the camera.

Did you turn on live view in Sharpcap? that would explain the black screen. Maybe once you are set up take a snapshot of the Sharpcap screen and post it here so we can see what you can see. 

In daylight the exposure will have to be set to a minimum otherwise you will just get a white screen. With short exposures you will be able to wind the focus in and out and get feedback on the focus position without waiting for the image to update.

• Like 1

Also remember to tick the autostretch button next to the histogram, its the lightning bolt looking symbol.

That way you can see something other than black and maybe be able to find the Moon by following the glare it produces when nearby. You also need to see stars when focusing, and with the autostretch option ticked you should see out of focus stars as large disks and then be able to find focus.