SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What style mounting rail?

vlaiv

I just figured out that I can do a rough polar align with a green laser.

In fact, as far as laser is properly centered and if one is using some sort of visual aid (like a hand held finder or binoculars) - it can be more than rough polar alignment.

This is all for star tracker type of mounts / wide field rigs. AZGti and star tracker that I'm 3d printing.

So question here is - I want to add simple way to mount things to my AZGti without modding it too much. I'd rather not drill holes into it and maybe just a few drops of CA glue to hold some sort of mounting system in place.

It needs to be low profile and unobtrusive.

I've seen people mount Picatinny rail - probably because it is readily available to purchase and not that expensive.

I'd rather 3D print some sort of attachment. So far, I came up with T-Slot type of attachment - where 3d printed nuts can do the job fairly nicely (just insert say m4 nut into 3d printed T-nut shape for example).

Anyone has any other idea that might be better suited for the job?

Keywords are 3D printed, easy to use, rigid enough and unobtrusive :D

Edited by vlaiv
wrong choice of word? Is that a thing?

• vlaiv changed the title to What style mounting rail?

Bit of a divergent path here due to the cost involved, but when I had my Omegon LX it also had a similar issue despite it being supplied with a "straw" for a polar scope. I never did do it but I had the adaptor to mount onto the back of the centre hole of a zwo planetary camera which could be mounted onto a dovetail. Dovetail in saddle, you could use the asiair or a computer to polar align using the crosshair overlay within the software. Once done remove and clamp in your imaging train. Technically should work once you check on the alignment after Ra rotation.

Edited by Elp