Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flip mirror adjustment

M40

Weather being what the weather is, I had the first chance in months to use a new flip mirror and I just couldnt put my finger on what was going wrong. Playing today, I tried sticking a laser collimator into the non straight through port with the beam going straight onto a mirror and it was miles out. A quick search found me an aged sgl post pointing out the mirror end stop adjusting screw. A quick adjustment and its sorted.

One thing though, I found the adjusting screw was very loose and will soon move. The screw is an M5 grub screw, I have now replaced this with an M5 machine screw and locknut. Nice and secure. 

Hope it helps someone in the future. All the best.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, M40 said:

Weather being what the weather is, I had the first chance in months to use a new flip mirror and I just couldnt put my finger on what was going wrong. Playing today, I tried sticking a laser collimator into the non straight through port with the beam going straight onto a mirror and it was miles out. A quick search found me an aged sgl post pointing out the mirror end stop adjusting screw. A quick adjustment and its sorted.

One thing though, I found the adjusting screw was very loose and will soon move. The screw is an M5 grub screw, I have now replaced this with an M5 machine screw and locknut. Nice and secure. 

Hope it helps someone in the future. All the best.

Which flip mirror was it? I'm looking to replace mine ATM.

This flip mirror is the astro essentials device with micro adjuster. It's quite flexible with two T2 ports where the supplied adapters can be removed and your own used if necessary.

I plan to use it with either a low power or cross hair eyepiece in the flip side and a camera in the straight through, I think.....I have it set so no additional adapters are needed to get the two parfocal, but the weather has changed again so I can't confirm that yet. All the best.

Flip.thumb.jpg.17c27ee2fe57064d12f321e3998065b6.jpg