Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally some clear skies, but…. (Camera recommendations)

Paul2019

My DSLR has died! So I need to get a new camera and it makes sense to get a dedicated Astro cam. 

it must be of the Zwo offering and essentially I’m half scared to death to get a mono camera having never used mono and with the seriously limited number of imageable nights I worry that I’ll never manage to get enough subs to make an image. 

In addition to the terror of going mono the other consideration is cost, so first question is if I go mono can I start luminance captures until I can afford a set of RGB filters and later narrowband filters? 

In my mind I feel that the camera will either be a 533mm or 533mc (cooled). 

my current scope is a 130pds with gso coma corrector but I think I will probably change to a stellamira ed80 doublet in the nearish future. 

I would love some reassurance on the mono front and advice in respect to if this camera is the best suited model that’s currently on offer! 

thanks 

Paul 

You can capture lum as long as you have the lum or UV/IR filter at hand.

Either option, if you want to make a quality image, you need many hours of total time, at least 10-20 minimum. So in my experience, yes you can technically get an image in one session via OSC, but it's not necessarily any faster, in fact mono is technically faster as you're utilising all pixels on the sensor as opposed to 1/4 or 1/2. The main impact is your post processing workflow is slightly longer.

With mono you'll be astounded by what you can capture with a HA filter alone on emission nebula, you could if you wanted just continue with this and produce excellent greyscale images. You also have the benefit of imaging in LP, even right next to the moon which I've done though the latest OSC narrowband filters may have a thing to say.

I've got both, including a 533MC. But my 183MM is my workhorse.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

You can capture lum as long as you have the lum or UV/IR filter at hand.

Either option, if you want to make a quality image, you need many hours of total time, at least 10-20 minimum. So in my experience, yes you can technically get an image in one session via OSC, but it's not necessarily any faster, in fact mono is technically faster as you're utilising all pixels on the sensor as opposed to 1/4 or 1/2. The main impact is your post processing workflow is slightly longer.

With mono you'll be astounded by what you can capture with a HA filter alone on emission nebula, you could if you wanted just continue with this and produce excellent greyscale images. You also have the benefit of imaging in LP, even right next to the moon which I've done though the latest OSC narrowband filters may have a thing to say.

I've got both, including a 533MC. But my 183MM is my workhorse.

Why the 183 opposed to the 533? 

47 minutes ago, Paul2019 said:

Why the 183 opposed to the 533? 

My 183 is mono and is the first proper astro imaging one I invested in. The resolution and small pixels mean I can also bin2 and still get a decent resolution from it.

The mono images look cleaner as you're using all the pixels, with OSC you'll see a lot of colour noise in the blank of space and notice it ever so slightly doesn't have as much detail. I use the 533 when I want to capture OSC data quickly to supplement the mono, or use it at F2 to make images quickly.